Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreementFebruary 16th, 2012 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Feb 16 (IANS) Sri Lanka and Singapore have signed an agreement to boost bilateral trade and investment.
Sr Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa, who is on a two-day visit to the southeast Asian city state, met Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and called for stepping up trade ties.
Loong expressed his government’s willingness to support Sri Lanka in becoming a knowledge hub, particularly in the field of IT, Xinhua reported Thursday.
Rajapaksa briefed the prime minister on Sri Lanka’s achievements in infrastructure development, and progress in resettling displaced people after the end of the conflict with Tamil tiger rebels.
Sri Lankan Security forces defeated the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009, ending a long drawn conflict between the two sides.
Singapore has named an orchid after Rajapaksa and his wife Shiranthi during their visit Feb 15-16.
- NSA to go to Colombo, voice India's concerns - Jun 25, 2012
- Amid Tamil Nadu unrest, Manmohan to meet Rajapaksa - Sep 18, 2012
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa discuss Tamil refugees, devolution (Second Lead) - Oct 15, 2010
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa to meet in Maldives, Tamil issue on agenda - Nov 09, 2011
- Indian MPs slam Sri Lanka for 'war crimes' (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- Don't attend Sri Lanka military conference: rights body - May 24, 2011
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- India, Sri Lanka agree on JWG meeting to resolve fishermen issue - Nov 11, 2011
- Fringe pro-LTTE groups behind Tamil Nadu violence: Sri Lankan envoy (Interview) - Sep 06, 2012
- Mathai to visit Sri Lanka - Oct 05, 2011
- India should help form Tamil Eelam: Ramadoss - Apr 26, 2011
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka told not to harass media - Jul 04, 2012
- PM to Sri Lanka: Use of force on fishermen not acceptable - Nov 13, 2011
- India, Sri Lanka take ties to new heights (Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: asian city, bilateral trade, conflict, infrastructure development, knowledge hub, lee hsien loong, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, mahinda rajapaksa, president mahinda rajapaksa, prime minister lee, singapore sign, singaporean, southeast asian, sr lanka, sri lankan security, tamil tiger rebels, trade ties, willingness, xinhua