Sri Lanka seeks international help in post-war phaseMay 31st, 2009 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, May 31 (DPA) Sri Lanka Sunday appealed for international assistance to rebuild the country after the military defeated Tamil separatists to end a three-decade civil war.
“We have overcome terrorism, and Sri Lanka is poised for an economic takeoff,” Foreign Minister Rohitha Bogollagama told a multilateral conference on Asian security in Singapore.
“This post-conflict phase is crucial in restoring confidence in people whose lives have been torn apart by this terrible conflict,” he said. “The international community has a role in this endeavour.”
Speaking to diplomats and policy makers of 27 countries, he said the post-war period would focus on rehabilitation, resettlement, economic empowerment and free elections.
The government said nearly 280,000 people had been displaced by the civil war.
The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) fought for more than 25 years for an independent homeland for Sri Lanka’s Tamil minority.
Government troops reclaimed the last rebel strongholds in the northern part of the island in mid-May, killing their leader Velupillai Prabhakaran and ending the war.
“Sri Lanka will no doubt enter the annals of history as a classic textbook example of a nation that successfully prevailed over the scourge of terrorism,” Bogollagama said.
- US to remain engaged with Sri Lanka, says envoy - Jul 04, 2012
- 'Sri Lanka's ties with China no threat to India' - Dec 29, 2011
- India non-committal on 'war crimes', studying 'sentiments'(Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Sri Lanka needs home-grown path to peace: Minister - May 16, 2012
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Colombo mulling power sharing with Tamils: Peiris - May 17, 2011
- Yechuri wants 'justice' for Tamils - Mar 13, 2012
- AIADMK unhappy with PM over Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Sri Lanka calls UN report 'fundamentally flawed' - Apr 27, 2011
- Sri Lanka steps up mine clearance - Nov 06, 2009
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- Prabhakaran to blame for LTTE's demise, says Karuna - Dec 14, 2010
- Lanka denies arms deal with China - Jul 04, 2009
- Nirupama Rao to visit Sri Lanka today - Mar 06, 2010
- End of war in Sri Lanka welcomed amid concerns about human cost - May 20, 2009
Tags: asian security, classic textbook, diplomats, economic empowerment, foreign minister, free elections, government troops, independent homeland, international assistance, last rebel, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, minority government, post war, resettlement, scourge, strongholds, tamil minority, tamil separatists, textbook example, war period