SpiceJet shares up on consolidation talks with GoAirMarch 9th, 2009 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 9 (IANS) The shares of budget carrier SpiceJet were up nearly 10 percent on the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) Monday on reports that it was in talks with another low-cost airline GoAir for consolidating operations or even a possible merger.
Some 30 minutes before the closing bell, the SpiceJet scrip was trading at Rs.13.42, up 9.46 percent over the previous close at Rs.12.26. GoAir, owned by the Wadia group, is an unlisted company.
SpiceJet, however, declined comment on the issue. “Our company policy is not to confirm or deny any such speculative claims,” said a statement issued by the airline. GoAir also declined to react.
Jet Airways, controlled by Naresh Goyal, and Vijay Mallya’s Kingfisher had also entered into a strategic alliance last year in what had set other airlines into discussing similar moves.
Jet and Kingfisher, which had earlier acquired a budget carrier each, had taken the step in a bid to bring operational synergies into their operations in the wake of a major slowdown in the Indian aviation market and mounting losses.
- PM holds discussions with private airline chiefs - Nov 26, 2011
- Kingfisher's market share falls to fifth place in November - Dec 22, 2011
- Domestic January-March air growth at 6.55 percent - Apr 18, 2012
- FDI in airlines allowed, foreign airlines welcome move - Sep 14, 2012
- Airlines urge government to cut airport fee, jet fuel taxes - Aug 10, 2009
- Spicejet ex-CEO Sanjay Aggarwal joins Kingfisher Airline - Sep 30, 2010
- Kingfisher Airlines faces operational shutdown, says CAPA - Aug 24, 2012
- SpiceJet allowed to directly import ATF - Apr 18, 2012
- Air India recorded highest number of cancellations in April - May 17, 2012
- Aviation stocks rally on CCEA meet clearing FDI in airlines - Sep 14, 2012
- PM to meet airline chiefs Saturday (Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
- SpiceJet to start Madurai-Colombo service - Aug 29, 2012
- Air India recorded highest number of cancellations in May - Jun 18, 2012
- GoM to look into foreign capital in domestic airlines - Jan 13, 2012
- Oil firms increase jet fuel price by 3.70 percent - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: aviation market, bombay stock exchange, bse, budget carrier, closing bell, goair, indian aviation, jet airways, kingfisher, low cost airline, mumbai, naresh goyal, scrip, similar moves, slowdown, spicejet, strategic alliance, synergies, unlisted company, vijay mallya