SpiceJet hikes fares after aviation fuel price hikeJune 4th, 2008 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 4 (IANS) Low cost airline SpiceJet has hiked its fare following the recent hike in aviation fuel price. Confirming the hike, a SpiceJet spokesperson told IANS here Wednesday: “The hike in our basic fare is Rs.300 for short routes and Rs.550 for long-haul sectors.”
While other airlines have increased their fuel surcharges in the wake of the aviation fuel price hike, New Delhi-based SpiceJet has increased the fare as its officials feel it would sound weird to have tickets that cost RS.500-Rs.1,000 and then taxes and surcharge totalling over Rs.3,000.
Another low cost airline, InterGlobe-promoted Indigo, is likely to take a decision on a fare hike next week.
Earlier this week, the state-owned Air India and private airlines Jet Airways, Kingfisher Airlines and Deccan hiked their fuel surcharge by Rs.300-Rs.550.
The fuel surcharge for travel distance up to 750 km (short-haul) has gone up by Rs.300, while for the travel beyond 750 km, it would be Rs.550.
According to figures obtained from Indian Oil Corp (IOC), aviation turbine fuel (ATF) in Mumbai will cost Rs.71,759.06 per kilolitre, up from Rs.60,468.28. In New Delhi, ATF will cost Rs.69,227.08 against Rs.58,387.92 per kilolitre.
With global oil prices spiralling, the airlines have hiked fuel surcharge five times in the past five months.
- Air India, SpiceJet hike airfares - Jun 19, 2008
- Jet Airways hikes fuel surcharge - Jun 02, 2008
- Airlines hike fuel surcharge (Lead) - Jun 02, 2008
- Air India yet to decide on direct ATF import: Ajit Singh - Aug 28, 2012
- Oil firms increase jet fuel price by 3.70 percent - Nov 30, 2011
- SpiceJet raises fuel surcharge by Rs.400 - Jun 18, 2009
- SpiceJet allowed to directly import ATF - Apr 18, 2012
- Aviation stocks rally after direct jet fuel import allowed - Feb 07, 2012
- Oil firms cut jet fuel prices by 1.38 percent (Lead) - Dec 15, 2011
- Jet fuel price hiked by 4.5 percent - Aug 01, 2012
- Air India to import jet fuel directly - Jun 07, 2012
- Hike in jet fuel price to jack up air fares: Patel - Jan 17, 2011
- Jet fuel price hiked by 3.2 percent - Aug 16, 2012
- Government rolls out plan to help domestic airlines (Roundup) - Feb 07, 2012
- Airfare to rise along with fuel price, says Praful Patel - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: air india, atf, aviation fuel price, deccan, fare hike, fuel price hike, fuel surcharge, fuel surcharges, global oil prices, indian oil, ioc, jet airways, kingfisher, kingfisher airlines, low cost airline, private airlines, short haul, spicejet, travel distance, turbine fuel