Spencer’s shop opened in KolkataJuly 7th, 2008 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 7 (IANS) Three days after its inauguration was stalled by agitating hawkers, RPG Group’s retail arm Spencer’s opened its hyper mall in the southern part of the city Monday. “We have opened the store. We expect the store to do very well and surpass all our internal benchmarks,” said Praveen Dalal, vice-president, operations of Spencer’s.
The opening followed several rounds of negotiations between the company and the hawkers. “We have arrived at an agreement on some of the suggestions given by the hawkers. Rest of the proposals are being evaluated,” he said.
Dalal said the opening went peacefully and there was no resistance from the hawkers.
A large group of protesters Friday gathered in front of the hypermarket, located in a busy market zone, raised slogans and burned promotional pamphlets to successfully stop the inauguration.
They said the store could not sell goods that the hawkers sell in their shops, and added that nobody would be allowed to construct any retail mall within two kilometres of the area, which has a high hawker density.
Dalal said: “We understood that the problem occurred due to lack of knowledge about our business model. There is no conflict of interest between our business and that done by the hawkers as far as the product offering, customer base and merchandising are concerned”.
“We do not sell anything which is priced less than Rs.300 in men’s and women’s fashion wear,” he said.
Spencer’s has products ranging from food, apparel, fashion, electronics, lifestyle products, and music to books.
Spencer’s is targeting Rs.20 billion sales turnover by the end of the current financial year.
- Spencer's eyeing profit of Rs.20 per sq ft - Feb 10, 2011
- Shopkeepers, hawkers prevent opening of Kolkata mall (Second Lead) - Jul 04, 2008
- Shopkeepers, hawkers prevent opening of Spencer's mall (Lead) - Jul 04, 2008
- French retailer Carrefour opens first wholesale store in India - Dec 30, 2010
- Shirts, jackets, sofa covers sell in name of F1 - Oct 26, 2011
- RPG to close 10 percent of Spencer's stores - Jul 30, 2008
- FDI in retail: Time India removed its blinkers (Comment) - Dec 06, 2011
- SPAR to open 24 more hypermarkets in next two years - Jan 28, 2011
- Kerala-born Yusuffali making waves in Gulf - Apr 23, 2012
- Brandhouse Oviesse To Open OVS Fashion Stores In Chennai, Bangalore, Delhi - Jul 24, 2010
- Malabar Gold group to diversify into retailing of lifestyle products - Mar 30, 2012
- Tata Housing launches GoodLife pan-India retail brand - Mar 13, 2012
- 'Global brands can generate jobs in India' (With Image) - May 21, 2012
- Amigo Sport launches FIFA official collection in India - Jun 11, 2010
- Malls - where designers love to sell - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: apparel fashion, business model, conflict of interest, customer base, hawker, hawkers, hypermarket, inauguration, internal benchmarks, kilometres, large group, lifestyle products, pamphlets, product offering, protesters, retail arm, retail mall, sales turnover, slogans, vice president operations