Special fraud probe team looking at Satyam case: KhurshidNovember 5th, 2009 - 5:29 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Nov 5 (IANS) Corporate Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid Thursday denied that the government has asked the Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO) to stop probing the Rs.78,000-crore Satyam accounting scam.
“SFIO is continuing its probe into charges of violation of company law and investigations are in the final stage,” Khurshid told reporters on the sidelines of a convention of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI).
“Most of the work already done there are some minor issues involved,” he added.
Terming as “baseless” reports that SFIO had been asked to discontinue its inquiry, the minister said SFIO cannot investigate funds going abroad, an area that was being probed by the Enforcement Directorate.
“SFIO’s function relates entirely to violations of company law. Violations of company law have both civil and criminal consequences. SFIO will investigate and has investigated only that area and they will prosecute the accused,” Khurshid said.
“There are other areas of IPC (Indian penal Code) offences that CBI will pursue. Offences relating to foreign exchange regulations will be pursued by the Enforcement Directorate and revenue issues will be pursued by the Internal Revenue Service.”
Khurshid said under the new company law, SFIO would be given specific powers to make it an effective investigating agency.
“They have to take everything through the court. Those powers will be given to them so that they are an effective investigating agency. They have already been strengthened as far as personnel and forensic capacities are concerned,” the minister said.
- Khurshid remark no interference in 2G case, apex court told (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Government orders parallel probes into IPL affairs (Roundup) - Apr 19, 2010
- Mahindra Satyam, Tech Mahindra Ltd merge - Mar 21, 2012
- 2G: Cheating charge against promoters of Essar group - Dec 12, 2011
- Subhiksha may be probed for fraud - Jul 17, 2010
- ED to probe money transfer in Satyam scam: Khurshid - Jul 13, 2010
- Mahindra Satyam, Tech Mahindra merger likely in 8-9 months - Apr 24, 2012
- Mahindra Satyam-Tech Mahindra merger put on hold - Feb 14, 2011
- Illegal mining: CBI to probe officials' involvement - Sep 06, 2011
- Non-bailable warrant against Andhra minister - Jul 23, 2012
- Modi writes to prime minister on anti-terror hub - Feb 17, 2012
- Ex-Andhra official held in illegal mining case - Nov 13, 2011
- Satyam, PWC units to pay penalties for accounting frauds - Apr 06, 2011
- SC asks CBI to probe if Yeddyurappa kin got kickbacks (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Poll panel goes to president over defiant Khurshid (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: affairs minister, cbi, company secretaries of india, corporate affairs, criminal consequences, enforcement directorate, exchange regulations, fraud investigation, fraud probe, hyderabad, indian penal code, institute of company secretaries, institute of company secretaries of india, internal revenue service, investigating agency, investigation office, nov 5, probe team, salman, sidelines