Spanish energy firm to invest $640 mn in BoliviaNovember 24th, 2011 - 11:58 am ICT by IANS
La Paz, Nov 24 (IANS/EFE) Repsol CEO Antonio Brufau told Bolivian President Evo Morales that the Spanish energy giant plans to invest $640 million in operations in this Andean nation for the 2010-14 period, the company said in a statement.
Brufau and Morales visited the Margarita natural gas field in the southern province of Tarija, where a plant is under construction to boost gas production for domestic and foreign markets.
At the end of Tuesday’s tour, Brufau reaffirmed Repsol’s commitment to developing reserves in the Caipipendi block - which encompasses the Margarita and Huacaya fields - as part of a consortium that also includes the local units of British Gas and Pan American Energy.
The new processing plant will enable output at Margarita - Bolivia’s largest gas field - to triple to 9 million cubic meters per day.
According to the statement, Morales hailed Repsol’s investment as “the most important underway in this sector” in Bolivia and stressed his government’s strong relations with the Spanish energy major.
The leftist leader also added that “investment and private property are guaranteed (in Bolivia) and that any investor not only has the right to recover their investment” but also earn a profit.
The first phase of the development plan for Margarita and Huacaya, both discovered by Repsol, is currently being implemented and will require investment of approximately $500 million.
In the second phase, the consortium partners are mulling an investment outlay of $660 million to raise daily production to 14 million cubic meters beginning in 2014.
The Repsol CEO visited the Margarita field with a group of international financial analysts.
Repsol also participates in Bolivia in YPFB Andina, a joint venture whose main shareholder is state-owned Yacimientos Petroliferos Fiscales Bolivianos.
- Bolivia plans $1.73 bn in energy investments in 2011 - Dec 27, 2010
- Bolivia, Argentina sign revised natural gas deal - Mar 28, 2010
- Bolivian revenues from gas exports fall over $1 bn - Dec 04, 2009
- Production at Venezuela gas field to start in 15 months - Sep 07, 2012
- Spanish firm buys Russian oil company for $230 mn - Dec 30, 2011
- Spanish firm to explore for oil in Alaska - Mar 08, 2011
- Argentine oil firm made $3 bn investments in 2011 - Feb 09, 2012
- Argentina says oil company owes $8 mn in tax - Feb 16, 2012
- Chinese-Spanish venture makes oil find in Brazil - Feb 28, 2012
- Argentine oil firm looks to attract investors - Aug 31, 2012
- Bolivia to invest $40 mn in new gas pipeline to Argentina - Mar 25, 2010
- Spanish firm files for delisting from New York Stock Exchange - Feb 24, 2011
- Brazil to invest $540 bn in energy projects - May 06, 2010
- Iran finds new gas field - Aug 09, 2011
- Bolivia nationalizes fuel transport company - Jun 03, 2008
Tags: andean nation, andina, bolivia la paz, consortium partners, cubic meters, efe, energy firm, energy giant, evo morales, financial analysts, foreign markets, investment outlay, joint venture, pan american, president evo morales, private property, repsol, second phase, southern province, tarija