Spanish economy slowed in second quarterAugust 7th, 2011 - 11:33 am ICT by IANS
Madrid, Aug 7 (IANS/EFE) Spain’s economy grew 0.2 percent in the second quarter, down from a 0.3 percent pace in the first three months of the year, the central bank said.
An expansion in exports was outweighed by a sharp decline in domestic demand, according to the latest figures from the Banco de Espana.
Weak investment in construction and a drop in government spending also contributed to the disappointing second-quarter numbers, the bank said.
The economy grew 0.7 percent in April-June compared with the same period last year, when household purchases surged ahead of a July 2010 increase in value added tax.
Intensifying market pressure on Spanish sovereign debt is another negative factor, the central bank said, calling for “decisive and clear” action at the level of the European Union to make good on commitments to backstop member-states and the euro.
Job destruction continued in the second quarter, though at a slower interannual rate, 1.2 percent.
With unemployment above 20 percent and household incomes still on the decline, it appears likely that consumer spending will continue to show “a notable lethargy”, the Banco de Espana said.
Business investment in capital goods climbed between the first and second quarters, but fell in comparison with April-June 2010, the bank said.
Spain has struggled to overcome the double impact of the global recession and the bursting of an extended real estate bubble.
- Spanish economy back in recession - Apr 24, 2012
- Spanish economy expected to shrink in 2012 - Jan 24, 2012
- Spanish economy stalls - Nov 01, 2011
- More than five mn out of work in Spain - Jan 28, 2012
- Spain posts positive revision of 2010 GDP figure - Feb 12, 2011
- Spanish economy contracts less sharply in third quarter - Oct 30, 2009
- US boosts second-quarter growth estimate to 1.3 percent - Sep 30, 2011
- US personal incomes decline - Oct 01, 2011
- US producer prices fall - Nov 16, 2011
- Spanish economy shrinks - Aug 29, 2012
- US economy grew 2.5 percent in third quarter - Oct 28, 2011
- Brazil's accumulated GDP slows - Jun 04, 2011
- Joblessness in Spain will rise to 19.4 percent in 2010 - Mar 31, 2010
- Spain's economy contracts at slower pace in third quarter - Nov 19, 2009
- Spain's recession to worsen, says minister - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: backstop, banco de españa, business investment, capital goods, consumer spending, double impact, efe, first three months, global recession, government spending, household incomes, household purchases, interannual, lethargy, months of the year, quarter numbers, real estate bubble, second quarter, sovereign debt, spanish economy