Spanish economy back in recessionApril 24th, 2012 - 10:51 am ICT by IANS
Madrid, April 24 (IANS/EFE) Spain’s gross domestic product shrank 0.4 percent in the first three months of this year after contracting 0.3 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011, according to figures released Monday by the central bank.
Two consecutive quarters of negative growth is the technical definition of recession.
First-quarter GDP was down 0.5 percent compared with the same period in 2011, the first inter-annual fall in two years, Banco de Espana said.
Unemployment continued to rise in January-March, though at a “slightly less pronounced” pace than in the fourth quarter of 2011, the bank said, estimating a current jobless rate of nearly 24 percent.
Banco de Espana blamed a 0.4 percent drop in consumer spending in the first quarter on worsening unemployment, declining household wealth, tax hikes and an increase in economic uncertainty.
Government expenditure also fell as a result of austerity policies aimed at trimming Spain’s budget deficit.
Exports remained the only bright spot, but the level of growth dropped from 0.9 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011 to 0.6 percent in January-March.
While Spanish products have become more competitive internationally, the pace of export growth will be slow because of weakness in global markets, Banco de Espana said.
- Spanish economy slowed in second quarter - Aug 07, 2011
- Spanish economy expected to shrink in 2012 - Jan 24, 2012
- Spain posts positive revision of 2010 GDP figure - Feb 12, 2011
- Spanish economy stalls - Nov 01, 2011
- More than five mn out of work in Spain - Jan 28, 2012
- Spanish economy shrinks - Aug 29, 2012
- Spanish jobless rate climbs above 24 percent - Apr 28, 2012
- Downward revision of Spain's GDP data - Aug 28, 2012
- Brazilian agribusiness faces shrinking global demand - Aug 08, 2012
- US economy shows signs of further weakening - Jul 30, 2011
- Joblessness in Spain will rise to 19.4 percent in 2010 - Mar 31, 2010
- US economy slowed in first quarter - Apr 28, 2012
- Remittances to Mexico rise - May 03, 2012
- US economy slows in first quarter - Apr 29, 2011
- Jobless claims fall in US - Jun 03, 2011
Tags: april 24, austerity, banco de españa, budget deficit, consecutive quarters, consumer spending, definition of recession, economic uncertainty, efe, first three months, fourth quarter, global markets, government expenditure, gross domestic product, household wealth, jobless rate, quarter gdp, spanish economy, spanish products, wealth tax