Spanish consumer confidence at all-time lowAugust 4th, 2012 - 10:55 am ICT by IANS
Madrid, Aug 4 (IANS/EFE) Spain’s ICC consumer confidence index dipped in July to its lowest level since the monthly survey was launched, the official Center for Sociological Research said.
The ICC, which is based on a scale of 0 to 200, came in last month at 37.6 points, down 13 points from June and 36 points from July 2011.
The sub-index measuring consumers’ view of the current economic situation fell last month to 24.3, while the expectations sub-index plunged by more than 20 points to 50.8.
Any reading below 100 points is considered negative.
More than 60 percent of those surveyed said their families’ finances had deteriorated over the previous six months, and 48.4 percent expect things to get worse in the next six months.
Two-thirds said they struggle to make it to the of the month without running out of money.
Almost 89 percent of respondents characterized Spain’s present economic situation as bad and 71.5 percent foresee a further decline.
A majority said they expect both inflation and interest rates to rise in 2013.
Spain’s jobless rate stands at 24.6 percent overall and more than 53 percent among people under 25.
The conservative government projects that the economy, already officially in recession for the second time in three years, will contract by 1.5 percent in 2012.
Spain’s gross domestic product will shrink by an estimated 0.5 percent next year before a recovery gets underway in 2014, according to projections announced two weeks ago by Finance Minister Cristobal Montoro.
- US consumer confidence declines - Jun 01, 2011
- Australia's consumer confidence falls - Aug 15, 2012
- US consumer confidence edges upward - Sep 17, 2011
- US consumer confidence at three-decade low - Aug 13, 2011
- US consumer confidence at five-month low - Mar 12, 2011
- Spain's unemployment rate edges up - Jul 28, 2012
- Little change in US consumer confidence - Sep 28, 2011
- Growth slows in US service sector - Dec 06, 2011
- Spain raises 2.59 bn euros in bond sale - Apr 05, 2012
- China's Purchasing Managers Index rises in February (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Report points to slower growth in US manufacturing - Sep 02, 2011
- Spain faces recession, growing unemployment in 2012 - Mar 03, 2012
- China's non-manufacturing sector growth goes up (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Growth of US manufacturing sector slows - Nov 02, 2011
- EC approves Spanish bank recapitalization programme - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: conservative government, consumer confidence index, consumers, cristobal montoro, current economic situation, decline, efe, finance minister, government projects, gross domestic product, inflation, interest rates, jobless rate, madrid, recession, respondents, second time, six months, sociological research, two thirds