Spain partly closes air space due to volcanic ash cloudMay 8th, 2010 - 4:21 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid/Hamburg, May 8 (DPA) Spanish aviation authorities Saturday closed the air space over northern Spain as a cloud of volcanic ash from Iceland arrived in the region.
The airports of Santiago de Compostela, La Coruna, Vigo Asturias, Santander, Burgos, Valladolid, Salamanca and Leon were affected by the closure which was set to last until 2 p.m. (1200 GMT), the aviation authority AENA said.
The cloud of ash arrived overnight and is affecting part of Portugal as well.
According to the Meteorological Institute in London Saturday, the ash cloud could linger over northern Spain through Sunday and spread eastwards towards the Mediterranean region and Italy.
Friday, Iceland’s Department of Civil Protection and Emergency Management reported that volcano under the Eyjafjallajoekull glacier, 120 km south-east of Reykjavik, was again spewing increased amounts of ash.
In the preceding days the volcano was “producing less lava and more volcanic ash”, agency spokesman Agust Gunnar Gylfason said.
- 20 Spain airports closed due to volcanic ash - May 09, 2010
- Spain to close seven northern airports as ash drifts across Europe - Apr 18, 2010
- Iceland volcano ash could reach Britain: Report (Lead, changing dateline) - May 23, 2011
- Eyjafjallajoekull spurting ash again, flights suspended in Ireland - May 08, 2010
- Volcano in Iceland Leads To The Evacuation Of The Residents - Mar 22, 2010
- Ash spreads south as Europe air shutdown causes havoc - Apr 18, 2010
- Polish airspace safe despite Iceland volcano eruption - May 24, 2011
- Iceland's volcanic ash cloud disrupts flights across Europe (Second lead) - Apr 15, 2010
- Iceland volcano ash blows to north - May 23, 2011
- German airports reopen after ash cloud closure - May 10, 2010
- Volcanic ash cloud grounds 1,000 flights in Europe (Second Lead) - May 17, 2010
- Ash cloud closes Heathrow, Gatwick airports again - May 17, 2010
- European airlines cancel more than 500 flights as volcanic ash spreads - May 24, 2011
- European no-fly zone shrinks, but remains subject to change - Apr 20, 2010
- Ash forces closure of airspace over Scotland, Northern Ireland - May 05, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,