Spadework begins on Smart City KochiOctober 8th, 2011 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Oct 8 (IANS) Spadework has eventually begun on the somewhat delayed Smart City Kochi — a 250-acre campus that seeks to eventually offer an enticing environment for offices and homes alike.
The groundbreaking ceremony of a 6,000-square-foot management office of the township, the nerve centre of the project, which promises to proceed from futuristic concepts and utilise practical tecnologies, was performed Saturday.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, also the chief patron of the project, was present along with Industries Minister and Smart City Kochi vhairman P.K. Kunhalikutty, and TECOM Group (Smart City Dubai) CEO Abdullatif AlMulla.
Smart City Kochi, as a destination for local, regional and international knowledge companies, is expected to be complete in five-and-half years and and promises to provide 90,000 jobs, potentially transforming Kerala into an investment destination of choice.
Chandy said this is not merely an IT project, but a major initiative with unique features that can create substantial employment and nurture Kerala’s economy to next level of growth.
“The first phase will be ready in 20 months and will send an important message that Kerala is highly investor-friendly and major projects can happen here,” said Chandy. “Smart City Kochi will be followed by many such mega projects.”
Chandy can take pride because it was under his aegis in 2004 that the discussion first started on setting up the project.
Abdullatif AlMulla said the vision of Smart City Dubai and the government of Kerala is now a reality.
“In the coming years, this ideal self-sustained township will become one of Kochi’s economic pillars as it harnesses the expected increasing demands for ICT and media driven services,” he said.
The project area is to come up in a 250 acre campus for which it has been given the special economic zone status.
The project was delayed during then chief minister V.S.Achutanandan’s tenure as the Left Democratic Front government raised objection to grant of free-hold rights to the Smart City Dubai,
- Smart City Kochi on course: Official - Jan 23, 2012
- First phase of Smart City Kochi project to be commissioned soon - Jun 23, 2011
- Smart City project should go on with Dubai, demands Congress - Nov 18, 2010
- Smart City Kochi pavilion to open next month - Apr 25, 2012
- Kerala to serve ultimatum to Smart City Dubai on Kochi project - Sep 02, 2010
- Congress backs Kochi infotech project - Dec 09, 2010
- Kerala delaying Kochi project, insists Smart City Dubai - Dec 02, 2010
- Work on Smart City to begin next month: Chandy - Aug 21, 2011
- Chandy launches project in Smart City Kochi - Jun 09, 2012
- Last letter to Smart City Dubai on Kochi project: Achuthanandan - Nov 30, 2010
- 'CPI-M delayed Smart City project' - Oct 30, 2010
- Kochi infotech project off the blocks - Feb 23, 2011
- Decks cleared for Kochi infotech project - Feb 02, 2011
- Achuthanandan belittles Smart City Dubai yet again - Nov 16, 2010
- Fate of Kochi IT park project hangs in balance - Mar 13, 2010
Tags: acre campus, aegis, chief patron, driven services, futuristic concepts, groundbreaking ceremony, industries minister, international knowledge, investment destination, kerala chief minister, knowledge companies, kunhalikutty, major projects, management office, nerve centre, smart city kochi, spadework, special economic zone, tecom, zone status