SP workers clash with police during FDI protestsDecember 1st, 2011 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 1 (IANS) Samajwadi Party (SP) activists Thursday clashed with the police and were baton charged in this Uttar Pradesh capital while protesting the central government decision to allow foreign equity into the retail market.
Extending support to the all-India strike called by traders, workers’ unions and other organisations against the decision, hundreds of Samajwadi workers — particularly from the party’s youth wing — gathered near the state assembly and forced their way through the barriers at the site.
Shouting slogans against the Congress and the central government, the activists torched the effigies of the central government and the Walmart, disrupting traffic in Hazratganj area.
“The centre’s decision to allow FDI in retail market will adversely affect the local traders and increase unemployment. We would continue to protest against the Congress government for its anti-poor stand,” Samajwadi Party spokesperson Rajendra Chaudhary told reporters.
“As many as 10-15 of our workers have been injured in the police lathicharge,” he claimed.
Traders in Lucknow staged demonstrations in various area of the city, including Lal Bagh, Aminabad and Aliganj.
“Around two lakh shops in Lucknow will remain closed to support the nationwide strike,” Uttar Pradesh Adarsh Vyapar Mandal president Sanjay Gupta told reporters.
- UP traders claim bandh a success, to keep up protests (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- UP jewellers protest duty hike - Mar 31, 2012
- Mixed response to anti-government protest (Afternoon Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown disrupts life across UP, train services disrupted - May 31, 2012
- Groundswell of support for Anna visible in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Traders to beseech Lord Ganesha against FDI in retail - Sep 18, 2012
- Agra markets join shutdown against FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
- SP doesn't favour FDI in retail: Akhilesh - Sep 03, 2012
- Opposition strike Thursday for FDI, diesel price hike rollback - Sep 19, 2012
- Demonstrations in Lucknow against Hazare's detention - Aug 16, 2011
- Strike against FDI in retail affects life in Tripura - Dec 01, 2011
- Samajwadi Party workers clash with police during protest - Sep 16, 2011
- Opposition protest shuts parts of India (Roundup) - Sep 20, 2012
- BJP protests in Jharkhad over FDI in retail - Nov 28, 2011
- Traders down shutters to support Hazare - Aug 27, 2011
Tags: activists, adarsh, aminabad, central government, congress government, effigies, government decision, india strike, lakh, lal bagh, local traders, mandal, party spokesperson, retail market, sanjay gupta, slogans, state assembly, uttar pradesh capital, walmart, workers unions