Southwest Airlines Planning Expansion And Offering New SchemesOctober 23rd, 2010 - 6:17 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Oct 23, (THAINDIAN NEWS) It seems that the move to sign up an acquisition deal with AirTran Airways has done wonders for low cost airline Southwest Airlines. That explains why now the airline is expanding its operation in South Carolina. It has also announced its plan to offer 7 flights a week from Greenville and Charleston. The airline has managed to garner the fliers with its attractive fares so far. As a matter of fact the low rates offered by this airline has compelled the rival airlines to offer as much as 30 percent cut in their fares. However, there is a catch. Like any other budget airline,the customers need to book the cheap priced tickets in Southwest Airlines much earlier. The other major attraction of the airline is the fly free luggage scheme.
The airline reported that for 3rd quarter it posted a profit of over $200 million. It is a good sign that the profits for the last two months of the year also seems to be on the upside. While the airline is raking in the profits there is some good news for the pilots as well. It has been declared that the pilots of the airline will be give a 3 percent hike. A buzz is also doing the round that $56 million will be given for the so called employee profit-sharing plan.
Southwest airlines is trying to woo more Business class fliers nowadays. These customers are lucrative for the airline because they usually do not book months ahead to get the cheapest fares. They book often at the last hour and the airline can charge them high.
- Southwest Airlines to buy AirTran for approximately $1.4 billion - Sep 27, 2010
- Southwest To Take Over AirTran - Sep 28, 2010
- Southwest Airlines Introduces New Frequent Flier Program - Jan 07, 2011
- Ryanair To Charge For Toilet Usage - Apr 08, 2010
- Hundreds of flights in northeast U.S. canceled due to winter storm - Feb 05, 2010
- Air India to focus on innovative regional routes to shore up growth - May 23, 2011
- Air India operates 210 domestic flights, lower fares to continue - May 10, 2011
- Couple sues airline over cockroaches - Nov 14, 2011
- Air India operates 216 domestic flights, lower fares to continue (Lead) - May 10, 2011
- Alliance Air launches Delhi-Kanpur-Kolkata flight - May 24, 2011
- Air India extends promotional airfare scheme till May 19 (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Makeover Of Southwest Airlines' 'Frequent Flier' Program To Be Set In Motion From March 1 - Jan 07, 2011
- Fears on Kingfisher's viability grow, seeks government help - Nov 11, 2011
- Bangkok Airways connects Bangalore and Thailand - Oct 04, 2011
- Private airlines told not to hike fares - May 02, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,