Southern Railway plans to improve infrastructureJune 30th, 2011 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 30 (IANS) Southern Railway will be spending around Rs.1,700 crore this fiscal on improving its infrastructure, an official said Thursday.
Speaking to reporters here after releasing the new railway timetable, General Manager Deepak Krishnan said the Southern Railway will spend the money on guage conversion, construction of road overbridges (ROB), road underbridges (RUB) and other works.
He said the organisation would focus on coach cleanliness and its maintenance by private agencies.
The new time table will come into effect Friday and also includes 19 new trains whose introduction into service will be notified later.
Some of the proposed new trains are two Duronto Express trains — Chennai Central-Madurai and Chennai Central-Thiruvananthapuram, Vivek Express Kanyakumari-Dibrugarh, Chennai Central-Mysore Super Fast Express, Puducherry-New Delhi Super Fast Express, Tuticorin-Dwarka Vivek Express, Mangalore Central-Santragachi (Howrah) Vivek Super Fast Express, and Mangalore Centre-Palakkad Inter-City Express.
- Mamata Banerjee's largesse for Maharashtra - Feb 25, 2011
- Tamil Nadu gets new trains, integrated suburban network - Feb 25, 2011
- Gogoi seeks new trains for Assam - Feb 07, 2012
- Karnataka to chug faster on Mamata's largesse - Feb 24, 2010
- Karnataka to chug faster on Mamata's largesse (Lead) - Feb 24, 2010
- Chidambaram flags off Chennai- New Delhi Duronto Express - Sep 21, 2009
- Non-stop Duronto train between Bangalore and Howrah soon - Dec 08, 2009
- Tamil Nadu gets new trains; bio-diesel, windmill plants (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Rail Budget to be presented in Lok Sabha today - Feb 25, 2011
- Mamata flags off three new Duronto Express trains - Mar 31, 2010
- Chidambaram flags off non-stop Chennai-Delhi train - Sep 21, 2009
- 35 killed as Tamil Nadu Express catches fire (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- 35 burnt alive in Tamil Nadu Express blaze (Fifth Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- New trains announced to keep Mamata's promise - Mar 09, 2012
- List of 27 injured in Nellore hospitals - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: dibrugarh, dwarka, howrah, inter city express, kanyakumari, madurai, mangalore, mysore, New Delhi, new railway timetable, new time, palakkad, private agencies, puducherry, rs 1, southern railway, thiruvananthapuram, time table, tuticorin, vivek