Southeast Asia planning to increase trade with northeast IndiaMarch 27th, 2009 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, March 27 (IANS) Members of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) will intensify business with the eight northeastern states of India, diplomats said here Friday.
“Traders, businessmen and investors of ASEAN countries are interested in building close ties with the India’s northeastern states to strengthen economic relations and promote trade and business,” Indonesian ambassador in India Andi Mohammad Ghalib told reporters.
Envoys from three ASEAN countries are on a weeklong visit to the northeastern states to study the potential of doing more business with the eight states. ASEAN has 10 member nations.
“A trade agreement is likely to be signed between India and the ASEAN countries soon. Negotiations have already concluded,” Ghalib said.
The six-member delegation from Brunei, Cambodia and Indonesia met Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi earlier in the week.
Diplomats from other ASEAN countries will visit the northeastern states after the parliamentary elections, Ghalib said.
- Indian business delegation to visit Indonesia - Apr 22, 2012
- What's impeding investment? Indonesian MPs cite Nandigram (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- India, ASEAN trade to touch $50bn this year - Nov 02, 2010
- Indian envoy meets Indonesian parliamentary speaker - Jun 12, 2012
- ASEAN-India officials meet in Cambodia - May 27, 2012
- Indonesia keen to expand trade with India: envoy - Jun 17, 2012
- Thailand seeks Indian investments - Jan 25, 2012
- India, Indonesia to set $20 bn bilateral trade target - Jan 08, 2011
- India, Asean to ink economic pact by year-end: Anand Sharma - Mar 02, 2011
- Indonesian MPs seek lessons from India's anti-graft movement - Dec 22, 2011
- ASEAN economic ministers agree to deepen integration efforts - Sep 01, 2012
- India, Asean trade to reach $70 bn in 3 years - Feb 22, 2011
- 21 world leaders visited India this year, more on way - Aug 26, 2012
- ASEAN envoys visiting northeast India to boost trade, tourism - Sep 20, 2010
- India, Indonesia to sign extradition treaty, other agreements - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: agartala, asean countries, assam, association of south east asian nations, chief minister, close ties, east asian nations, economic relations, ghalib, indonesian ambassador, member delegation, member nations, northeast india, northeastern states, parliamentary elections, south east asian, southeast asia, states of india, tarun, weeklong visit