South Ossetia to take Georgia’s currency out of circulationDecember 21st, 2010 - 12:53 am ICT by BNO News
MOSCOW, RUSSIA (BNO NEWS) — South Ossetia, a disputed former part of the Georgian republic, on Monday announced that it will remove the Georgian currency from circulation beginning on January 10, the RIA Novosti news agency reported.
“The administration of South Ossetia’s Leningorsk region has taken the decision to take the Georgian currency out of circulation,” South Ossetia’s information committee said.
The disputed state decided to remove the Georgian Lari and will instead rely on the Russian ruble. The transition will not result in large problems as currently the Georgian Lari and the Russian ruble are both used in South Ossetia.
South Ossetia, along with neighboring Abkhazia, consider themselves independent nations but are only recognized by Russia, Nicaragua and Venezuela. Georgia still considers the region part of its country, as most of the world’s governments do.
Russia recognized South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent states two weeks after a five-day war with Georgia in August 2008. Georgian forces had attacked South Ossetia in a failed attempt to bring it back under central control, after which Russia deployed its troops to protect the disputed area.
Hundreds of Russian, Georgian, South Ossetian and Abkhazian soldiers were killed during the violent conflict, as well as more than 160 civilians.
- Georgia sends peace proposals for Abkhazia and South Ossetia - Dec 08, 2010
- South Ossetia to discuss Georgia's peace proposal in Geneva - Dec 09, 2010
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- US Senate asks Russia to pull out from Abkhazia, South Ossetia - Jul 31, 2011
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- Moscow says arrest of alleged Russian spies in Georgia part of "anti-Russian psychosis" - Nov 05, 2010
- Russia upgrades marine patrols off Abkhazian coast - Sep 20, 2009
- Russia will maintain, not build up n-arsenal: Medvedev - Mar 05, 2010
- Russia admitted to World Trade Organisation - Dec 17, 2011
- Russia inks military pacts with Georgia's breakaway regions - Sep 15, 2009
- Russia to deploy 3,800 troops in Abkhazia - Mar 06, 2009
- Russian construction firm head becomes South Ossetia's prime minister - Aug 05, 2009
- 'Georgia recruiting refugees as sabotage activists' - Aug 28, 2010
- Russia deploys air defence system in Abkhazia - Aug 11, 2010
- Russia-South Ossetia friendship treaty comes into force - Jan 20, 2009
Tags: abkhazia, bno, circulation, civilians, currency, georgian lari, georgian republic, governments, independent nations, independent states, information committee, moscow russia, news agency, nicaragua, ria novosti news, russian ruble, south ossetia, south ossetian, venezuela, violent conflict