South Korea’s retail sales grow in DecemberJanuary 18th, 2012 - 6:05 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, Jan 18 (IANS) Sales at South Korea’s major discount outlets and department stores grew last month largely due to unusually cold weather that drove seasonal goods sales up, a government report showed Wednesday.
Total sales at the country’s three leading discount chains, including E-Mart, Lotte Mart and Homeplus, expanded 3.7 percent in December from a year earlier, a turnaround from a 0.5 percent on-year contraction tallied in the previous month, according to the Ministry of Knowledge Economy.
Sales of clothes and sports items grew 5.5 percent and 7 percent on-year in December respectively as domestic consumers actively bought winter clothes and winter sports-related goods amid unusually low temperatures, reported Xinhua.
Sales of daily household goods and miscellaneous products advanced 5.8 percent and 0.5 percent each over the cited period, but sales of home appliances shrank 2.4 percent last month. Food sales, which account for more than half of sales by the key discount chains, grew 3.5 percent on-year in December.
Combined sales at the three major department stores, including Lotte, Shinsegae and Hyundai, showed a double digit on-year growth of 11 percent in December, a turnaround from a 0.5 percent on-year reduction a month before.
Luxury goods sales expanded 10.5 percent on-year last month, maintaining its double-digit growth trend, and food sales rose 8.1 percent over the cited period.
- South Korea's retail sales growth negative in November - Dec 15, 2011
- South Korea's retail sale grows in October - Nov 17, 2011
- South Korea's retail sales retreat - Jul 19, 2012
- South Korea's consumer price growth hits 14-month low - Mar 02, 2012
- South Korea's industrial output shrinks in October - Nov 30, 2011
- South Korean industrial output contracts for three months - Jan 31, 2012
- South Korea's industrial power sales go up - Nov 21, 2011
- South Korea's auto sales grow - Jul 02, 2012
- South Korea's industrial output growth plunges - Apr 30, 2012
- South Korea's auto sales tumble - Sep 03, 2012
- South Korea's consumer price growth slows in October - Nov 01, 2011
- South Korea's trade surplus rebounds to $4.29 bn - Nov 01, 2011
- South Korean firms' profitability weakens in Q3 - Dec 20, 2011
- South Korean economic indicators weakening on sagging export - Aug 07, 2012
- LG Electronics posts $394 mn operating profit - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: cold weather, december seoul, discount chains, discount outlets, domestic consumers, double digit growth, e mart, food sales, government report, growth trend, home appliances, homeplus, household goods, knowledge economy, lotte mart, luxury goods, miscellaneous products, seasonal goods, shinsegae, winter clothes