South Korea’s retail sale grows in OctoberNovember 17th, 2011 - 2:19 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, Nov 17 (IANS) Sales at South Korea’s major discount outlets and department stores grew in October due to solid demand for food and luxury goods, a government report showed Thursday.
Total sales at the country’s three leading discount chains, including E-Mart, Lotte Mart and Homeplus, increased 5.5 percent in October from a year earlier, a turnaround from a 1.1 percent on-year reduction in September, according to the Ministry of Knowledge Economy.
Rising demand for food products led the October turnaround. Food sales, which account for more than half of sales by the key discount chains, grew 7.5 percent on-year last month due to lower fresh vegetable prices, according to the ministry.
Sales of sports items expanded 8.7 percent in October from the previous year, with those of daily household goods, clothing and home appliances rising 4.1 percent, 3.2 percent and 1 percent each over the same period. Sales of miscellaneous products edged down 0.2 percent.
Meanwhile, combined sales at the three major department stores, including Lotte, Shinsegae and Hyundai, rose 3.1 percent in October from a year before, but the growth rate slowed from the September’s 6.5 percent gain, the ministry said.
Luxury goods sales expanded 10.9 percent on-year last month, maintaining its double-digit growth trend, but the growth rate continued to slow down, according to the report.
Sales of children’s sports items and groceries gained 6 percent and 3.7 percent each in October from a year earlier, the ministry said.
- South Korea's retail sales grow in December - Jan 18, 2012
- South Korea's retail sales growth negative in November - Dec 15, 2011
- South Korea's retail sales retreat - Jul 19, 2012
- South Korea's trade surplus rebounds to $4.29 bn - Nov 01, 2011
- South Korea's industrial output shrinks in October - Nov 30, 2011
- South Korea's consumer price growth slows in October - Nov 01, 2011
- South Korea's industrial power sales go up - Nov 21, 2011
- South Korean auto production grows - Jun 12, 2012
- South Korea's trade balance turns into black - Mar 01, 2012
- South Korea's consumer price growth hits 14-month low - Mar 02, 2012
- South Korean industrial output contracts for three months - Jan 31, 2012
- South Korean firms' profitability weakens in 2011 - Apr 23, 2012
- South Korea's money supply growth accelerates in October - Dec 07, 2011
- Inflation rises to 7.23 percent; food prices surge (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- South Korea's industrial output growth plunges - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: discount chains, discount outlets, double digit growth, e mart, food products, food sales, fresh vegetable, government report, growth trend, home appliances, homeplus, household goods, knowledge economy, lotte mart, luxury goods, miscellaneous products, s sports, shinsegae, south korea, vegetable prices