South Korea’s industrial power sales go upNovember 21st, 2011 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, Nov 21 (IANS) South Korea’s industrial electricity sales jumped 9.1 percent last month from a year earlier due to surging demand from energy-intensive sectors, a government report showed Monday.
Sales of industrial electricity, a gauge of industrial activities, reached 21.1 billion kilowatt-hours in October, up 9.1 percent from the same month of last year, according to the Ministry of Knowledge Economy.
The October figure marked the 29th straight month of on-year expansion, and it accounted for 59 percent of total power sales, reported Xinhua.
The last month’s strong power sales came as electricity demand from energy-intensive sectors grew sharply amid brisk exports, the ministry said.
Power consumption by the machinery industry surged 38.6 percent on-year in October, with electricity sales to chemical firms and automobile assembly lines growing 20.2 percent and 12 percent, respectively.
Meanwhile, electricity sales for households, general usage and education edged up 0.3 percent, 2.8 percent and 3.4 percent each on-year last month, but total power sales, including industrial sector, expanded 6.1 percent on-year to 35.6 billion kilowatt- hours in October, the ministry said.
- China's electricity consumption goes up - Mar 14, 2012
- China's power consumption growth slows in October - Nov 15, 2011
- `South Korean economic indicators weakening' - Feb 07, 2012
- South Korea's industrial output shrinks in October - Nov 30, 2011
- China's power consumption slows down - Aug 14, 2012
- South Korean industrial output contracts for three months - Jan 31, 2012
- South Korea's industrial output growth plunges - Apr 30, 2012
- South Korea's retail sale grows in October - Nov 17, 2011
- South Korea's consumer price growth slows in October - Nov 01, 2011
- South Korea's trade surplus rebounds to $4.29 bn - Nov 01, 2011
- South Korea's retail sales growth negative in November - Dec 15, 2011
- South Korea's retail sales grow in December - Jan 18, 2012
- China launches solar-powered buses - Jul 18, 2012
- South Korean carmakers' exports hit record high - Apr 09, 2012
- South Korea's auto sales grow - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: 1 billion, assembly lines, automobile assembly, education, electricity demand, electricity sales, gauge, government report, households, industrial electricity, industrial sector, kilowatt hours, knowledge economy, machinery industry, power consumption, sectors, seoul, south korea, strong power, xinhua