South Korea’s consumer price growth hits 14-month lowMarch 2nd, 2012 - 2:46 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, March 2 (IANS) South Korea’s consumer price growth hit a 14-month low in February, alleviating concerns that high consumer price inflation may affect the overall economic recovery negatively, a government report showed Friday.
Consumer prices advanced 3.1 percent in February from a year earlier, down from a 3.4 percent on-year rise tallied in the previous month, according to Statistics Korea.
From a month before, consumer prices grew 0.4 percent last month. The headline inflation was the lowest since December 2010 when it recorded a 3.0 percent on-year gain, and stayed below the upper ceiling of the Bank of Korea (BOK)’s inflation target band of 2-4 percent for two straight months, reported Xinhua.
Prices of manufactured products jumped 4.7 percent on-year in February. Prices of petroleum products climbed 7.9 percent as global oil prices rose sharply on fears of supply disruptions that were triggered by confrontation between Tehran and Washington over the former’s nuclear ambitions.
The fresh food price index, a gauge of fruits and vegetables, rose 0.4 percent on-year in February. Fruit prices soared 11.2 percent last month, but vegetable prices dropped 9.8 percent.
Service sector prices grew 2.5 percent in February from a year before. Prices for housing rental and private services gained 5.0 percent and 3.0 percent each, but public service charges fell 0.6 percent.
- South Korea's consumer price growth slows in October - Nov 01, 2011
- South Korea's producer prices fall - May 08, 2012
- South Korea's consumer price growth slows - May 01, 2012
- South Korea's consumer prices rise - Jul 02, 2012
- `Downside risks to South Korean economy remain high' - Dec 08, 2011
- South Korea's GDP grows - Jul 26, 2012
- South Korea's consumer confidence rises - Nov 24, 2011
- South Korea's retail sale grows in October - Nov 17, 2011
- South Korea's retail sales grow in December - Jan 18, 2012
- South Korea's consumer price index rises - Sep 03, 2012
- South Korea's jobless rate falls - Mar 14, 2012
- South Korea's industrial output shrinks in October - Nov 30, 2011
- South Korean economic indicators weakening on sagging export - Aug 07, 2012
- China's Consumer Price Index eases - Aug 09, 2012
- South Korea's industrial output growth plunges - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: bok, consumer price inflation, disruptions, economic recovery, food price index, fresh food, fruit prices, fruits and vegetables, global oil prices, government report, headline inflation, inflation target, nuclear ambitions, petroleum products, private services, service charges, service sector, south korea, vegetable prices, xinhua