South Korea’s auto sales growJuly 2nd, 2012 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, July 2 (IANS) South Korea’s automobile sales grew 8.9 percent in the first half of this year from a year earlier as strong overseas sales offset weak domestic demand, industry data showed Monday.
For the first six months of 2012, global auto sales by the nation’s five carmakers Hyundai Motor, Kia Motors, GM Korea, Renault Samsung Motors and Ssangyong Motor reached 4,124,972 vehicles. The figure was up 8.9 percent from the same period of last year, reported Xinhua.
The increase was attributed to robust overseas demand for cars manufactured by domestic automakers. Local sales by the five carmakers contracted 5.9 percent on-year to 691,256 units in the first half, but overseas sales, including cars exported from South Korea and vehicles assembled in overseas plants, expanded 12.5 percent to 3,433,726 units.
Hyundai and Kia saw their auto sales hit the largest in their history, leading the brisk car sales during the first half.
Global car sales by Hyundai reached a new high of 2,180,012 vehicles in the first half, up 11.6 percent from a year before. Domestic sales declined 4.7 percent to 328,113 units, but overseas sales jumped 15.1 percent to 1,851,899 units.
Kia Motors saw their global auto sales reach the fresh record 1,396,143 units for the first six months of this year, up 12.4 percent from the same period of last year. Local sales declined 3. 7 percent to 239,138 units, but overseas sales surged 16.4 percent to 1,396,143 units.
Other carmakers showed underperformance. Global sales by GM Korea, the South Korean unit of General Motors (GM), came in at 409,150 vehicles in the first half, down 1.1 percent from a year earlier. Local sales grew 3.5 to 71,506 units, the largest in nine years, but exports retreated 2.0 percent to 337,644 units.
Global sales by Renault Samsung plunged 32.8 percent on-year to 83,062 units in the first half, with domestic sales and exports tumbling 41.7 percent and 26.1 percent respectively, but global sales by Ssangyong Motor rose 2.5 percent to 56,605 units over the cited period.
- South Korea's auto sales tumble - Sep 03, 2012
- South Korea's auto sales rebound - Mar 02, 2012
- South Korea's auto production plunges - Sep 09, 2012
- South Korean auto production grows - Jun 12, 2012
- South Korean carmakers' exports hit record high - Apr 09, 2012
- South Korea's auto production grows - Jul 10, 2012
- South Korean automakers' exports to slow down in 2012 - Dec 08, 2011
- Renault to increase prices of Koleos - Dec 14, 2011
- Mega-launches, big-ticket announcements at Delhi Auto Expo - Jan 03, 2012
- South Korea's retail sales grow in December - Jan 18, 2012
- Hyundai Motor posts $2 bn operating profit in Q1 - Apr 26, 2012
- Indian utility vehicle maker prime bidder for Ssangyong - Aug 12, 2010
- Hyundai and Nissan Motor log growth in July - Aug 01, 2012
- Ruia Group to bid for south Korean SsangYong Motor - Aug 08, 2010
- Ruia Group to bid for south Korean SsangYong Motor (Lead) - Aug 08, 2010
Tags: auto sales, automobile sales, car sales, carmakers, domestic automakers, general motors, global auto, global car, global sales, hyundai, hyundai motor, kia, kia motors, local sales, nine years, samsung motors, seoul, south korea, ssangyong motor, xinhua