South Korea’s auto exports growJuly 30th, 2012 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, July 30 (IANS) South Korea’s automobile exports grew 3.1 percent in the second quarter from a year earlier due to strong demand for large-sized cars from the US, Australia and Russia, customs office data showed Monday.
Exports of locally-made cars reached $10.85 billion during the April-June period, up 3.1 percent from the same period of last year, according to the Korea Customs Service (KCS).
In terms of volume, South Korean automakers shipped 814,000 vehicles over the cited period, reported Xinhua.
The growth was attributed to solid popularity for large-sized cars with engine capacity of between 1.5 and 3 litres from the US, Australia and Russia, said the customs office.
Shipments of autos with engine displacement from 1.5 to 3 litres reached $7.4 billion during the quarter.
Imports surged 37.1 percent on-year to $992 million in the second quarter, but trade surplus for the auto sector edged up 0.6 percent to $9.85 billion over the same period thanks to falling prices of imported cars.
Average unit price of imported cars stood at $29,469 a vehicle during the April-June period, down from $30,254 three months earlier. Average export prices rose from $13,256 a unit in the first quarter to $13,327 in the second quarter.
- South Korea's trade surplus reduces - Jul 16, 2012
- South Korean carmakers' exports hit record high - Apr 09, 2012
- South Korea's trade terms worsen - Aug 13, 2012
- Exports dip by 5.45 percent; trade deficit narrows (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Honda Motor quarterly net profit surges - Jul 31, 2012
- India's exports rose 6.71 percent to $25 bn in December - Feb 01, 2012
- South Korea's economic growth to slow in 2012: ADB - Apr 13, 2012
- South Korea's trade balance turns into black - Mar 01, 2012
- SIAM slashes car sales growth forecast to 9-11 percent - Jul 10, 2012
- Maruti ramps up car production to bring down waiting period - Feb 03, 2012
- `South Korean exports to grow' - Apr 10, 2012
- India's exports drop by 5.45 percent in June - Aug 01, 2012
- Samsung Electronics' operating profit grows 13 percent in Q3 - Oct 28, 2011
- South Korea's IT exports contract - Jul 10, 2012
- South Korea's auto sales grow - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: auto exports, auto sector, automobile exports, customs office, customs service, engine displacement, export prices, first quarter, imported cars, kcs, korean automakers, popularity, second quarter, seoul, sized cars, south korea, south korean, three months, trade surplus, xinhua