South Korean industrial output contracts for three monthsJanuary 31st, 2012 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, Jan 31 (IANS) South Korea’s industrial output contracted for three straight months in December last year amid lingering concerns over Eurozone debt crisis and global economic downturn, a government report showed Tuesday.
Output in mining, manufacturing and electricity and gas sectors diminished 0.9 percent in December from a month earlier after shrinking 0.3 percent and 0.6 percent respectively in November and October, according to Statistics Korea.
The industrial production expanded 2.8 percent on-year last month, marking the 30th straight month of on-year growth, but the output growth was slower than 5.8 percent on-year expansion tallied in November, reported Xinhua.
The December on-month contraction came as weak demand for beverage and primary metal outweighed strong performance in audio and video equipment and non-metallic minerals, according to the report.
Production in beverage shrank 15 percent on-month in December, with those of primary metal and chemical products falling 2.3 percent and 1.9 percent respectively.
Shipment in the mining firms and manufacturers grew 0.4 percent on-month in December due to solid performance in chips and parts, while inventory in the sector expanded 2.8 percent over the same period.
Local manufacturers operated at an average capacity of 77.6 percent last month, down 1.5 percentage points from the previous month. The factory utilization rate stood at 82.2 percent a year earlier.
Production in the service industry stayed unchanged in December from a month before as upswings in transportation and education sectors were offset by downswings in wholesale and retail and finance and insurance sectors, according to the report.
- South Korea's industrial output shrinks in October - Nov 30, 2011
- South Korea's industrial output growth plunges - Apr 30, 2012
- `South Korean economic indicators weakening' - Feb 07, 2012
- South Korea's producer prices fall - May 08, 2012
- South Korean economic indicators weakening on sagging export - Aug 07, 2012
- South Korean economic indicators weaken - May 08, 2012
- South Korea's consumer price growth hits 14-month low - Mar 02, 2012
- Industrial output rises by 2.4 percent in May (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- South Korea's jobless rate falls - Mar 14, 2012
- South Korea's retail sales grow in December - Jan 18, 2012
- South Korea's consumer price growth slows in October - Nov 01, 2011
- Industrial output rises in May but recovery probability low (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Industrial output grows at 0.1 percent in April - Jun 12, 2012
- South Korea's industrial power sales go up - Nov 21, 2011
- India's industrial output drops by 1.8 percent in June (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: chips, contraction, contracts, debt crisis, economic downturn, education sectors, electricity, gas sectors, government report, insurance sectors, non metallic minerals, percentage points, s industrial, seoul, south korea, three months, utilization rate, video equipment, wholesale, xinhua