South Africa: Adventure destination for IndiansJuly 7th, 2012 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 7 (IANS) Projecting itself as a value for money, adventure destination for thrill seekers, South Africa is seeing an increasing number of Indian travellers every year, a tourism board official said Saturday.
“Indians love to try out new things and love adventure activities,” Hanneli Slabber, country head of South African Tourism (SAT), told IANS here, adding that the depreciating value of the rupee has had no impact on Indian tourist arrivals to her country.
“It has only affected the prices of air fare. But South Africa offers maximum bang for the buck when it comes to boarding and lodging. So, we have not been impacted,” she said.
A training programme “Learn South Africa” is currently underway in 30 Indian cities aiming at promoting, planning and organising an attractive packages as per clients’ needs with its travel partners.
When SAT first started operating in 2003, South Africa was projected as a shopping and night life destination but soon the strategy was changed.
“Our research showed Indians loved adventure activities. So, starting 2010, we had to rearrange our packages with core focus on adventure,” she added.
In 2011, 90,367 Indians visited South Africa, up from 72,000 in 2010. At least 6,805 Indians visited the country in February 2012, compared to 5,449 visitors in February, 2011.
According to Slabber, a 10 day trip to South Africa that includes wildlife safari, adventure activities and city tours costs around Rs.80,000 per person.
- Indian tourists to South Africa could cross 1 lakh this year - Sep 07, 2012
- South African Tourism woos India's high income segment - Jun 20, 2012
- South Africa steps up efforts to woo Indian tourists - Feb 03, 2012
- Off the beaten track, Indian travellers explore the uncharted (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Indian travellers go off beaten track, explore the uncharted - Jun 07, 2012
- South African Airways is sole carrier on Mumbai-Johannesburg route - Jun 14, 2012
- More Johannesburg-Mumbai flights - Jun 14, 2012
- New Zealand's focus is on Indian business travellers - Apr 29, 2012
- Emirates Holidays eyes growing African business from India - Jun 07, 2012
- 'Year of Water' to greet Indian tourists in Switzerland - Jan 24, 2012
- Indian travellers are spoilt for choice - May 26, 2011
- 28 countries, 400 buyers to participate in Goa travel mart - Oct 19, 2011
- Ethiopia seeks India's assistance to promote tourism - Feb 08, 2012
- Egypt woos the Indian traveller (With Images) - Feb 11, 2012
- Finetune policies to promote community tourism: Study - Apr 15, 2012
Tags: adventure activities, adventure destination, africa adventure, air fare, attractive packages, core focus, day trip, indian cities, indian tourist, indian travellers, maximum bang, money adventure, night life, safari adventure, south african tourism, thrill seekers, tourism board, tourist arrivals, travel partners, wildlife safari