Soon, car steering that reads lips, facial expressions; plays drum beatsJune 15th, 2008 - 12:58 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 15 (ANI): IBM researchers are working on a steering wheel that reads lips, responds to facial expressions, and turns into a drum machine.
The researchers call this technology Artificial Passenger.
According to them, the steering wheel will also be able to knock out some beats upon the movements of the drivers lips, as he/she sings some song.
They say that the technology is the latest of the efforts to create a car that keeps tabs on the drivers gestures and physical and emotional state, reports Wired News.
A YouTube video on IBMs project shows that the researchers use two sensors in Artificial Passenger, which let a person to produce a variety of musical sounds or play along with an iPod boombox precariously perched on the dash.
A news report says that the ability to read lips and recognize gestures suggests that Artificial Passenger can control various functions like opening the windows, retracting the sunroof or making a phone call. (ANI)
- Now control your car with a wink or nod! - Jul 23, 2012
- iPod users warned to pull out earphones when on the move - Aug 06, 2010
- One dead in battle tank accident - Mar 02, 2012
- The friendly dashboard robo that can make driving a pleasure - Oct 31, 2009
- Scientists steer car with eyes - Apr 26, 2010
- Apple recalls first-gen iPod nano - Nov 13, 2011
- Apple, Google working on wearable devices - Dec 20, 2011
- iPod nanos recalled fearing battery fire - Nov 17, 2011
- Interactive computer acts like real teacher - Mar 04, 2012
- Gen Y not keen on saving energy: Study - May 06, 2012
- Cellphone batteries to recharge in 15 minutes - Nov 18, 2011
- Driverless electric vans travel successfully from Italy to China - Oct 29, 2010
- 'Touch-screen devices distract drivers' - Dec 21, 2011
- Study says that Steering wheels are nine times dirtier than public toilet seats - Apr 28, 2011
- 'Jeopardy!' champs beaten to buzzer by IBM computer 'Watson' - Jan 14, 2011
Tags: car steering, drum machine, emotional state, facial expressions, gestures, ipod, lips, musical sounds, news report, opening the windows, sensors, steering wheel, sunroof, tabs, wheel, youtube video