Sony to phase out feature phones by SeptemberMay 23rd, 2012 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 23 (IANS) Sony Mobile Communications (India), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Japanese technology giant Sony, has decided to phase out feature phones (non-smart mobile phones) by the end of September to focus solely on the fast-growing smart phone segment, a company official said Wednesday.
“The smart phone segment is growing by a compound annual growth rate of nearly 70 percent. We as a company want to focus only on this segment. By the end of September this year, we plan to phase out all our feature phone models,” the company’s managing director P. Balaji told reporters on the sidelines of a programme here.
“The decision to phase out feature phones was taken a few quarters back and is being implemented now. There are six-seven feature phone models of the company in the market currently,” said Balaji.
The company’s cellular arm - Sony Ericsson which was a joint venture with Sweden’s LM Ericsson - October 2011 became a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Japanese company.
The company, which launched its smart phones under the Xperia brand, owned by the erstwhile Sony Ericsson, will continue to use the brand to market its products.
“Though volume wise, smart phones contribute only 10 percent of the sales, value wise their share is nearly 40-45 percent. We, therefore, want to tap the huge potential of this segment,’ added Balaji.
The company, which imports its products from three manufacturing units in Japan, China and Mexico, ruled out setting up a production unit in India.
The company also unveiled three new models of its smart phones.
- Sony unveils smart phones for upward mobile - May 24, 2012
- Sony to acquire Ericsson's stake in joint venture for $1.47 bn - Oct 27, 2011
- Sony Ericsson launches Xperia Arc, Play in India - Apr 07, 2011
- P. Balaji new Nokia India vice president, managing director - Jul 13, 2012
- Suzuki looking at India as a two-wheeler export hub - May 15, 2012
- Sony Ericsson To Launch Gaming Phone Xperia Play On February 13 - Feb 07, 2011
- Sony Ericsson Announces Bollywood Superstar Kareena Kapoor as its Brand Ambassador - Mar 27, 2010
- Sony Ericsson Walkman Phone Yendo Is Likely To Be Shipped In February - Dec 21, 2010
- Motorola Mobility to cut 4,000 jobs - Aug 14, 2012
- Huawei to design mobile handsets for Indian market - Jun 15, 2011
- Micromax appoints new CEO - Dec 27, 2011
- Smartphone makers try to outdo each other at MWC - Feb 27, 2012
- Phone taking 3D pictures in markets soon - Sep 05, 2011
- 3M unveils Rs.100 crore research centre in Bangalore - Sep 23, 2011
- Polaris plans to launch electric cars in India - Dec 24, 2011
Tags: balaji, compound annual growth rate, feature phone, feature phones, giant sony, japan china, japanese company, japanese technology, joint venture, kolkata, lm ericsson, managing director, mobile communications, phone models, sidelines, smart phone, smart phones, sony ericsson, sony mobile, technology giant