Sony incurs first net loss in 14 yearsMay 14th, 2009 - 2:22 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, May 14 (DPA) Sony Corp suffered its first annual net loss in 14 years as the yen’s rise against the dollar and harsh price competition amid the global economic downturn drove consumers away, the company said Thursday.
Sony reported 98.9 billion yen ($1.03 billion) in net loss for the fiscal 2008 year against a 369.4-billion-yen net profit the year before.
The Japanese electronics giant incurred an operating loss of 227.8 billion yen for the business year that ended March 31, a turnaround from a profit of 475.3 billion yen the year before.
The global downturn slashed demand for consumer electronics such as televisions and mobile phones. Sony was additionally battered as the yen strengthening against the dollar made its products less competitive in the company’s overseas export markets.
Sales were down 12.9 percent to 7.73 trillion yen.
For the current fiscal year, Sony expected to narrow is operating loss to 110 billion yen but to expand net losses to 120 billion yen. Sales were to dip by 6 percent to 7.3 trillion yen.
- Sony announces $3.1 billion annual loss - May 27, 2011
- Suzuki profits up for full year - May 10, 2010
- Japan's Panasonic projects wider loss for current fiscal - Feb 03, 2012
- Panasonic returns to profit in first quarter - Jul 29, 2010
- Sony forecasts wider loss for fiscal 2011 - Feb 02, 2012
- Honda Motor quarterly net profit surges - Jul 31, 2012
- Honda Japan's nine-month net profit plummets 71 percent - Jan 31, 2012
- Panasonic incurs first annual loss in six years - May 15, 2009
- Sony's net profit down 94.8 percent in October-December period - Jan 29, 2009
- US budget deficit hits $198 bn in March - Apr 12, 2012
- LG Electronics posts $394 mn operating profit - Apr 25, 2012
- LG Electronics' earnings turns into red in Q3 - Oct 26, 2011
- Sony may suffer first operating loss in 14 years - Jan 13, 2009
- Samsung Electronics posts record second-quarter profit - Jul 30, 2010
- Toyota predicts return to black this year despite recalls - Feb 04, 2010
Tags: consumer electronics, consumers, current fiscal year, dpa, economic downturn, export markets, global downturn, japanese electronics giant, losses, mobile phones, net profit, overseas export, price competition, rise against, sony corp, televisions, tokyo, trillion, turnaround, yen