Sonia among top 10 powerful people in world (Lead)November 4th, 2010 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 4 (IANS) India’s ruling Congress chief Sonia Gandhi is among the top 10 most powerful people in the world, according to Forbes magazine which placed Chinese President Hu Jintao on the top of the list.
Sonia, who is ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh (18th), comes in ninth on the list of World’s Most Powerful People released Wednesday.
The other Indians who made it to the list are telecom mogul Sunil Mittal (44th) and industrialist Ratan Tata (61st).
Chinese President Hu Jintao has been named the most powerful person, ahead of US President Barack Obama, who topped last year’s rankings.
According to the magazine, the list comprises “the 68 who matter” of the 6.8 billion people on the planet.
The Forbes 2010 list contains heads of state, major religious figures and entrepreneurs. Forbes said they were chosen “because, in various ways, they bend the world to their will”.
The top 10 also included Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz al Saud (3rd), Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin (4th), Pope Benedict XVI (5th), German Chancellor Angela Merkel (6th), British Prime Minister David Cameron (7th) and chairman of the US Federal Reserve Ben Bernanke (8th).
- Sonia among 10 most powerful in world: Forbes (Second Lead) - Nov 04, 2010
- Sonia ahead of Manmohan in Forbes list, Hu bests Obama (Night Lead) - Nov 04, 2010
- Forbes names Bill Gates 'Most Powerful Man in technology' - Nov 07, 2010
- Sonia among top 10 powerful people in world - Nov 04, 2010
- Sonia, Manmohan among 20 most powerful in world: Forbes - Nov 03, 2011
- Dawood on Forbes' list of world's most powerful - Nov 12, 2009
- Sonia Gandhi ranked world's sixth most powerful woman - Aug 22, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi, Indra Nooyi among top ten world's most powerful women - Aug 25, 2011
- Clinton, Sonia, Nooyi among 'world's powerful moms' (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Merkel concludes China visit - Feb 04, 2012
- Michelle Obama tops '2010 World's 100 Most Powerful Women' list - Oct 07, 2010
- 136 Chinese, 61 Indian firms on Forbes' list - Apr 20, 2012
- Obama tops world's most powerful list, Manmohan at No. 36 - Nov 12, 2009
- Vatican to take legal action against Benetton advertisement - Nov 18, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi, Shah Rukh ranked among 50 most powerful people - Dec 21, 2008
Tags: abdullah bin abdul aziz, al saud, angela merkel, barack obama, chancellor angela merkel, chinese president hu jintao, congress chief, david cameron, forbes magazine, german chancellor angela merkel, hu jintao, manmohan singh, pope benedict xvi, president hu jintao, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, russian prime minister, saudi king abdullah, sonia gandhi, sunil mittal