Sonawane’s burning: Maharashtra government employees on strikeJanuary 27th, 2011 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai/Manmad (Maharashtra), Jan 27 (IANS) Lakhs of government employees across Maharashtra Thursday went on a strike and residents of Manmad city observed a total shutdown to protest the burning of Nashik additional collector Yashwant Sonawane, officials said.”We strongly demand protection of government officials to prevent such untoward incidents in future. Sonawane was on duty while he was burnt to death. We demand that such raids should be conducted only under strict police protection,” said Maharashtra Gazetted Officers Federation general secretary G.V. Kulthe.
Sonawane was burnt to death in broad daylight by a gang of fuel pilferers when he raided their premises near Manmad Tuesday afternoon.
The employees strike called by the Maharashtra Gazetted Officers Federation for Class 1 and Class 2 officers was supported by other unions.
Police have arrested all the 11 accused in connection with the incident. They have been remanded to police custody till Feb 8.
The city of Manmad Thursday observed a total shutdown as school, colleges, shops and offices remained closed.
Meanwhile, Sonawane’s driver Kailash Gawli also spoke up about the incident saying he tried to save him, but failed.
“I can identify the goons who gathered there Tuesday, but cannot identify the ones who set my boss on fire as I could not see their faces,” Gawli said.
Gawli also confirmed that Sonawane was burnt because he tried to take pictures of kerosene being stolen from an oil tanker.
Sonawane, 44, was doused with kerosene and burnt alive in Panewadi, near Manmad in Nashik district Tuesday, when he went to conduct a raid on the local fuel mafia suspected to be pilfering kerosene from tankers.
- Sonawane's widow demands CBI probe; government staff strike work (Lead) - Jan 27, 2011
- Maharashtra raids adulterators, widow seeks CBI probe (Night Lead) - Jan 27, 2011
- Four nabbed for setting on fire raiding senior officer (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Burning of Malegaon official to be probed; compensation announced - Jan 26, 2011
- Senior district official set afire by petrol mafia (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Six more held for burning alive Malegaon officer (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Sonawane killing: Maharashtra gazetted officers go on strike - Jan 27, 2011
- Sonawane a martyr: Reddy - Jan 27, 2011
- Sonawane's burning: Maharashtra raids oil, milk adulterators - Jan 27, 2011
- Sonawane killing main accused Shinde dies - Jan 31, 2011
- BJP alleges politician-oil mafia nexus, seeks CBI inquiry - Jan 28, 2011
- Jaipal Reddy holds emergency meeting to discuss oil adulteration issue - Jan 27, 2011
- Kerosene mafia attack police team in Nagpur - Feb 01, 2011
- After official's death, oil ministry to tackle adulteration (Lead) - Jan 27, 2011
- Kerosene mafia burns government officer alive - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: boss, broad daylight, faces, federation general, general secretary, goons, government employees, government officials, kailash, kerosene, lakhs, mafia, oil tanker, pilferers, police protection, premises, s driver, tankers, tuesday afternoon, unions