Solar powered rickshaws? India and UK set up energy hubApril 14th, 2009 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 14 (IANS) Rickshaws powered by solar energy could be your next mode of transport, courtesy of a Commonwealth initiative.
The Commonwealth Business Council (CBC) has set up an incubation hub in partnership with the Indian government to develop cutting edge energy-saving technologies, it announced Tuesday.
The hub, which also involves the Indian Institute of Management - Ahmedabad, the UK Carbon Trust and British Petroleum’s Alternative Energy Group, will work on technologies that will be designed for Indian city and rural living, as well as transport.
By involving academics as well as industry, the hub will be able to get ideas commercialised quickly, CBC said.
“Our new incubation hub will get ideas from everywhere, including the Indian entrepreneurs. Hopefully, this hub can get these ideas backed and commercialised quickly,” said CBC Director General Mohan Kaul.
“I look forward to seeing the first solar powered rickshaw,” he added.
- Students' ideas ready for incubation in Kerala - Sep 05, 2012
- India's first telecom business incubator in Kerala - Oct 27, 2011
- Smart solar inverter launched in Kerala - Aug 25, 2012
- Startup Village inks pact with Finland's ACE - Sep 07, 2012
- Kolkata engineer designs wonder rickshaw (With Images) - Jun 15, 2012
- Riding to Green Games on a 'Soleckshaw'! (With Images) - Feb 09, 2010
- Areva joins Reliance to set up solar power plant - Apr 13, 2012
- JGI Ventures to groom entrepreneurs with Rs.500 crore fund - Apr 06, 2011
- Indian Americans form body to boost nanotechnology - Nov 08, 2011
- ISBA secretariat at Technopark-TBI - Sep 11, 2012
- Scientists to harness solar energy in space - May 17, 2012
- 'India's renewable energy programme full of schoolboy errors' - Apr 14, 2009
- Technology firms awarded for innovation - Mar 29, 2012
- Breakthrough to boost solar cell output by 40 percent - Apr 19, 2012
- Solar rickshaw finds no takers (With Image) - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: alternative energy, april 14, british petroleum, carbon trust, cbc, commonwealth business council, commonwealth initiative, director general, energy group, energy hub, incubation, indian entrepreneurs, indian government, indian institute of management, institute of management, kaul, mohan, rickshaw, rickshaws, solar energy