Snowfall in high hills of Himachal PradeshNovember 9th, 2009 - 12:56 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Nov 9 (IANS) Moderate snowfall Monday covered the high reaches of Himachal Pradesh and generated hopes of revival of tourism in the state, officials said.
“Higher reaches of Lahaul and Spiti, Chamba, Kullu and Kinnaur districts experienced moderate snowfall early this (Monday) morning,” meteorological office director Manmohan Singh told IANS.
He said other areas of the state, including Dharamsala, Shimla, Solan, Nahan, Bilaspur, Manali and Mandi received moderate to heavy rain, bringing the temperature down considerably.
The Rohtang Pass (13,050 feet) and the Baralacha Pass (16,020 ft) - located on the Manali-Leh highway - also experienced snow.
The snowfall and rain have cheered farmers and hoteliers in the region.
“Timely snowfall has generated hopes of revival of tourism after the setback last year due to less or no snow in most of the popular tourists spots in the state,” said D.P. Bhatia of Clarke’s Hotel in Shimla.
The meteorological office said there is a possibility of more snowfall and rain in the next few days.
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- Snow, rain bring on cold wave in Himachal - Nov 15, 2009
- Himachal shivers, Shimla sees coldest night of season - Jan 16, 2011
- Snow in Manali hills, tourists happy on 11.11.11 - Nov 11, 2011
- Mercury dips, Himachal lakes begin to freeze - Nov 12, 2011
- Hills near Shimla get season's first snowfall - Dec 29, 2010
- Himachal shivers, taps freeze in Shimla (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Manali gets season's first snowfall (Lead, changing dateline) - Nov 09, 2009
- High-altitude Himachal lakes begin to freeze - Oct 27, 2010
- Snow to add to Himachal's New Year's Eve festivities - Dec 26, 2010
- Rain, snowfall predicted in Himachal - Dec 28, 2010
- Heavy snow in Himachal, tourists stuck (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Fresh snow cheers Himachal farmers, hoteliers (Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
- Mercury plummets with fresh snowfall in Himachal - Jan 29, 2010
- Fresh snow in Himachal, hoteliers cheer (Second lead) (With Image) - Jan 13, 2010
Tags: bhatia, chamba, heavy rain, hotel in shimla, hoteliers, kinnaur, kullu, manali, manmohan, manmohan singh, meteorological office, monday morning, office director, revival, rohtang, setback, snowfall, spiti, state officials, tourists spots