Snowfall forces closure of Manali-Leh highwayOctober 19th, 2009 - 11:21 am ICT by IANS
Shimla, Oct 19 (IANS) The strategic Manali-Leh National Highway 21 was Monday temporarily closed to vehicular traffic following heavy snowfall at high altitudes along the highway.
The 475-km highway connects Manali in Himachal Pradesh and Leh in Jammu and Kashmir.
As authorities announced the closure of the highway, men from the General Reserve Engineering Force (GREF) have been deployed to clear snow on the highway. GREF is a wing of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) that maintains the highway.
GREF officials said Lachlungla Pass (16,620 feet) and Tanglangla (17,480 feet) located on the Manali-Leh highway had heavy snowfall Sunday evening.
The BRO has already issued an advisory to motorists that travel on the highway after Oct 31 would be risky as chances of heavy snowfall will increase.
The highway plays an important role in the movement of the armed forces to areas in Ladakh bordering China.
- Avoid Manali-Leh highway, snowfall likely - Oct 23, 2011
- Manali-Leh highway partially reopened - Jun 01, 2011
- Don't travel on Manali-Leh highway after October - Oct 07, 2010
- Time for pulsating action on Himachal highway - Jun 09, 2011
- Manali-Leh highway reopens for traffic - Jun 07, 2010
- Manali-Leh highway likely to reopen Saturday - Jun 04, 2010
- Permit must for Manali-Leh travel by non-Himachal vehicles - Jun 26, 2011
- Manali-Leh highway to be closed from Oct 31 - Oct 14, 2009
- Manali-Leh road link may be used round-the-year - Jun 26, 2010
- Luxury bus service between Manali and Leh reopens - Jul 02, 2011
- Rohtang tunnel work in Himachal to begin June - May 05, 2010
- Manali-Leh highway closed after landslides - Aug 06, 2010
- Rohtang Pass reopens after five months - May 25, 2011
- Rohtang Pass re-opens for traffic - Apr 14, 2010
- Rohtang Pass to be re-opened for traffic this week - Apr 11, 2010
Tags: armed forces, authorities, border roads, bro, china, closure, gref, heavy snowfall, high altitudes, highway men, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, manali, motorists, oct 31, sunday evening, vehicular traffic