Snag on Metro’s Gurgaon line affects services, rectified (Lead)August 19th, 2011 - 1:23 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) Passengers were left stranded as a technical fault hit Delhi Metro’s Jahangirpuri-Gurgaon line Thursday, resulting in overcrowding at stations. Full services were restored after nearly two hours.
“Metro Services of Line 2 (Jahangirpuri-Huda City Centre) were affected today (Thursday) between Green Park Metro station and Sultanpur Metro station when a portion of OHE (Over Head Electricity) wire broke down near Qutub Minar Metro Station.”
“The train services were mainly affected from 6.32 p.m. to 7.20 p.m. between Green Park Metro Station and Sultanpur Metro Station. The single line operations were undertaken from 7.20 p.m. to 8.20 p.m between Green Park station and Sultanpur station to carry the passengers from one end to another,” a Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) press release said.
However the services from Jahangirpuri Metro station to Green Park Metro station and from Sultanpur Metro station to Huda City Centre Metro station remained normal, it added.
“After undertaking the urgent maintenance work of the affected portion near Qutub Minar the full normalcy also restored between Green Park Metro station and Sultanpur Metro station at 8.22 p.m.,” the release said.
Metro officials also claimed that services were “normal” on other lines whereas passengers complained of delayed services on most lines.
Delayed and crowded trains added to commuter woes at several stations, particularly at Rajiv Chowk, the busiest inter-change, and some stations on other routes.
“There was so much crowd at the Metro station that I had to come back to office,” said Divya Gupta, who works in Green Park in south Delhi.
“The trains are jam-packed… There is no place to even set foot in the ladies coach. Getting into the rest of the train is near impossible,” said Ritu Singh at the Delhi University station.
Delhi Metro ferries some 14 lakh people every day.
- Probe ordered into disruption of Delhi Metro services - Nov 20, 2010
- Metro's Central Secretariat-Qutub Minar line opened - Sep 03, 2010
- Delhi Metro's Central Secretariat-Qutub Minar line opens Friday - Sep 02, 2010
- Snag leaves Metro commuters stranded in tunnel - Jun 07, 2011
- 32,000 footfalls on Central Secretariat-Qutub Minar Metro link - Sep 03, 2010
- Maintainance work Sunday on Delhi Metro's Gurgaon line - Dec 17, 2010
- Passengers stuck in Metro for 40 minutes, services hit (Second Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Metro stuck for 40 minutes near Patel Chowk station (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Commuters stranded as snag hits Delhi Metro - Aug 18, 2011
- Metro services hit on Gurgaon, Dwarka route - Jan 10, 2011
- Metro to connect Delhi and Gurgaon Monday - Jun 20, 2010
- Delhi Metro officials unsure when to start Gurgaon line - Jan 28, 2010
- Metro to start in Gurgaon Monday - Jun 16, 2010
- Metro service connecting Delhi, Gurgaon starts - Jun 21, 2010
- Metro stuck for 40 minutes near Patel Chowk metro station - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: chowk, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, delhi university, divya, green park, green park station, gurgaon, maintenance work, metro officials, metro services, metro station, qutub minar, ritu singh, some stations, south delhi, sultanpur, technical fault, train services, urgent maintenance