SMS tariff reduction soon, says regulatorDecember 12th, 2008 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 12 (IANS) The telecom watchdog Friday said a consultation paper on tariff reduction on short messaging service (SMS) will be floated again as the request has been pending for over a year with service providers.“The request for the tariff reduction in SMS charges has been pending for almost an year with service providers, which needs to b addressed soon. We will float a consultation paper soon in this regard,” Telecom Regulatory Authority (TRAI) chairman Nripendra Misra told reporters on the sidelines of a business meet here.
Misra said a consultation paper regarding per minute to per second billing is also being considered and will be floated soon.
Currently, billing is done on a per minute basis, which means a 15-second call requires payment for a one-minute conversation.
“Caller must pay for the time used for the service and not for the whole minute,” Misra said.
Regarding call termination charges, Misra said it was a matter of concern and that the consultation paper regarding it would also be floated this month.
Reacting on the TRAI decision on tariff reduction, Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) chairman T.V. Ramachandran said: “The tariff has already been reduced by most operators.”
On the per second billing proposal, Ramchandran said in a competitive market, if one operator followed this tariff plan, others would follow.
- TRAI asks operators to offer per second-billing plan (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Apr 20, 2012
- Operators must offer calls at 1 paisa per second plan: TRAI - Apr 20, 2012
- Telecom tariffs may rise by 90 paise in metros: Study - May 22, 2012
- TRAI's revised tariff analysis flawed: COAI - Jul 13, 2012
- Ensure transparency in tariff ads, TRAI tells operators - Mar 26, 2012
- Maintain quality of service: TRAI to operators - Mar 26, 2012
- EGoM to take final call Tuesday on spectrum pricing - Jun 04, 2012
- TRAI seeks industry view on mobile tariff cap - Feb 06, 2012
- No outstanding dues to BSNL: Telcos - Sep 10, 2011
- Reserve price of spectrum major concern: COAI - Jun 30, 2012
- Telecom Commission to meet Thursday on TRAI recommendations - May 23, 2012
- TRAI relief on unwanted value-added services - Jul 05, 2011
- EGoM to take final call on pricing and refarming of spectrum - May 26, 2012
- Telecom operators split over call termination rate - May 30, 2011
- BSNL's disconnection threat illegal and coercive: Private operators - Sep 13, 2011