Smart City Kochi wants SEZ status without stringsDecember 22nd, 2008 - 10:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Dec 22 (IANS) The Rs.15-billion ($375-million) IT park, Smart City Kochi, will request the state government to see that it gets special economic zone (SEZ) status without any strings. Speaking to reporters after the fifth director board meeting Monday evening, state Registration and Fisheries Minister S. Sarma, who is also the chairman of the Smart City Kochi, said the board has decided to request the state government to see that the project was guided by the agreement reached between the Dubai-based Smart City and the Kerala government.
Earlier, Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan and Law Minister M. Vijayakumar had made contradicting statements about the status of the project. While the chief minister said the entire project would be guided by the agreement between the Dubai-based firm and the government, Vijayakumar last month said the state SEZ policy would be applicable to the project.
The state SEZ policy has set some conditions for SEZ projects, which include: no agricultural land will be acquired for SEZs; land will not be acquired for sanctioning SEZs in the private sector; no rebates will be allowed for electricity; Panchayati Raj rules will be applicable; tax holidays will be only for 10 years; 70 percent of the land will have to be used for industrial purposes and the balance 30 percent for residential apartments; and no apartments can be sold to outside parties.
All labour laws prevailing in the state will also be applicable to these SEZs.
The project would have 8.8 million square feet of built-up space, of which 70 percent would be for IT and IT-enabled services and would employ 90,000 professionals.
The project is now at the crossroads with nothing happening after the foundation stone was laid a year back.
The Dubai team is upset because for the project’s first phase, only 136 acres were granted SEZ clearance last year and the remaining 100 acres are yet to get the clearance.
Sarma said: “The registration process of 136 acres would be completed soon.”
- First phase of Smart City Kochi project to be commissioned soon - Jun 23, 2011
- Kochi infotech project off the blocks - Feb 23, 2011
- Talks on stalled Kerala project to commence next month - Aug 21, 2009
- Smart City project cannot be delayed any further: Developer - Jun 01, 2009
- Arbitration will be our last resort: Smart City Dubai - Dec 31, 2010
- Last letter to Smart City Dubai on Kochi project: Achuthanandan - Nov 30, 2010
- Another setback for delayed Kerala Smart City project - Nov 26, 2008
- Kerala urges Smart City Dubai to start work soon - Oct 19, 2009
- Smart City CEO comes to get drunk: Achutnanandan (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Smart City work to begin only after SEZ status - Oct 13, 2008
- Dubai IT firm wants freehold land from Kerala government - Apr 21, 2009
- Two-day talks on Kochi IT township inconclusive - Sep 10, 2009
- Two years after, Smart City foundation stone gathers moss - Nov 16, 2009
- We can't change our anti-SEZ stand: Mamata - Apr 27, 2012
- Smart City not to come under new SEZ guidelines - Oct 02, 2008