Smart City Kochi, Kerala government to float skill academyJanuary 23rd, 2012 - 5:12 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 23 (IANS) Smart City Kochi and the Kerala government have agreed in principle to float a skill development academy to help professionals in IT, banking, and finance improve their skills to meet the demands of the corporate sector.
Speaking to reporters here after a meeting with Baju George, managing director of the upcoming Smart City Kochi, state Labour Minister Shibhu Baby John said Monday that there is a gap between the corporate needs and the standard of those seeking employment, and the new academy will fill that void.
“We are now scouting for an international partner to help us develop this skill academy and it could be one or a few different partners depending on the sector. The apex body which would see this become a reality has already been formed and has been named as the Kerala Academy of Skills Excellence (KASE). Now the cabinet has to give us the nod, and also the board of the Smart City Dubai. Once that happens, we will start identifying the other partners,” said John, an engineer-turned first time minister.
Smart City Kochi, a Rs.5,000-crore IT project, is being built by Smart City Dubai.
“The proposed skills academy could well be one of the first clients in the Smart City Kochi and the state government has already sanctioned Rs.10 crore for this,” added John.
He also added that a proposed Construction Academy (CA) has got the cabinet’s nod and very soon the foundation for the building at the CA would be laid at the land that the state government has provided in Kollam.
“In today’s competitive world, it is not just qualifications that are needed but also requisite skills matching the latest developments in each and every sector. And it is here that our new ventures would do the needful in training the professionals in a short period,” added John.
- Kerala to showcase rural IT parks - Aug 08, 2012
- Smart City Kochi on course: Official - Jan 23, 2012
- Smart City Kochi pavilion to open next month - Apr 25, 2012
- Construction biggies keen to partner Kerala to set up academy - Dec 08, 2011
- State-run job portal in Kerala - Aug 05, 2012
- Skill academy to boost Kerala's MSME sector - Sep 14, 2012
- All mega projects are on course: Chandy - May 31, 2012
- Last letter to Smart City Dubai on Kochi project: Achuthanandan - Nov 30, 2010
- First phase of Smart City Kochi project to be commissioned soon - Jun 23, 2011
- Chandy launches project in Smart City Kochi - Jun 09, 2012
- Eyeing global boom, Kerala plans construction academy - Sep 22, 2011
- Kerala to focus more on its newer industries - Jun 14, 2011
- Achuthanandan belittles Smart City Dubai yet again - Nov 16, 2010
- International Interfaith Harmony award for Yusuf Ali - Feb 14, 2012
- Arbitration will be our last resort: Smart City Dubai - Dec 31, 2010
Tags: apex body, baby john, baju, competitive world, corporate sector, development academy, international partner, kollam, labour minister, needful, new academy, new ventures, nod, proposed construction, requisite skills, seeking employment, skill development, smart city kochi, thiruvananthapuram, time minister