Small industries hold key to industrial progress: AhluwaliaMarch 22nd, 2008 - 12:29 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, March 22 (IANS) Deputy chairman of the Planning Commission of India Montek Singh Ahluwalia has said small and medium enterprises (SME) hold the key to the country’s industrial progress. “They are likely to play a pivotal role in immediate future, as they can carve out unit growth model for the country,” Ahluwalia said Friday at the Indian Merchants Chamber (IMC) Ramkrishna Bajaj Award 2007.
In the key note address, the Planning Commission deputy chairman emphasizing the role of SME, said, “In the drastically changing economic scenario, SMEs are the future. It is erroneous to see the financial volume as a benchmark for assessing success of any company or enterprise.”
Praising the IMC for recognising the mettle of SME, he said: ” It is strange that an award for SME was instituted three years ago. And it is only now for the first time that there is a recipient. The very acknowledgement of this sector shows that the there is a dawning of realisation of the structural changes that have taken place.”
He said that it was time to change one’s corporate perspective, emphasising, “not to get swayed by financial highs”.
“SMEs have emerged as a vibrant tier of the economy as it has already taken over as the key contributor to the GDP of the country. Precisely for this reason, we are looking into the existing policies and the necessary changes required in so as to make the SME role more proactive in order to achieve greater economic goals,” he said.
- SBI to open new SME branches in Bengal - Apr 27, 2012
- Crisil to target SMEs in tier II, III towns - Feb 22, 2012
- Britain to push for bigger Indian role in Commonwealth - Aug 29, 2011
- Israel seeks closer education, tech ties with India - Dec 13, 2011
- Trade between India, Japan set to rise: Envoy - Jul 10, 2011
- India can grow 8-9 percent for 20 years: Montek Ahluwalia - May 18, 2012
- Nine percent growth not possible in 12th Plan: Montek - Jul 06, 2012
- Slowdown temporary: Montek - Jan 06, 2012
- India may end 2011-12 with 7 percent growth: Montek - Dec 21, 2011
- Indian economy to grow by 6.9 percent this fiscal (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Plan panel approves Rs.57,800 crore for Uttar Pradesh - Jul 18, 2012
- NSE gets green signal for SME exchange - Oct 14, 2011
- India targets $1 trillion infrastructure investment: Ahluwalia - Jan 28, 2011
- Disconnect among government, RBI: BJP - Jun 18, 2012
- Indian economy needs four percent farm growth: Ahluwalia - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: bajaj, corporate perspective, deputy chairman, economic goals, economic scenario, financial volume, growth model, imc, immediate future, indian merchants, industrial progress, mettle, montek singh ahluwalia, note address, pivotal role, planning commission, ramkrishna, s industrial, small and medium enterprises, smes