Small enterprises to contribute 22 percent of GDPSeptember 28th, 2008 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 28 (IANS) The share of small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in India’s gross domestic product (GDP) is likely to go up to 22 percent by 2012, according to an industry lobby report, released here Sunday. The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham) said in the study that the SME sector was upgrading itself technologically.
“Technological upgradation will reduce input costs and increase production, which will enable SMEs to contribute 22 percent to India’s GDP against 17 percent by 2012,” it said.
The study, ‘SMEs-Tomorrow’s Blue Chips’, said SMEs, which grew at 35 percent over the last two years, would register 40 percent growth driven by technological upgradation.
Assocham president Sajjan Jindal said the share of SMEs to the national exports would be up to 44 percent from 38 percent in the next five years.
He said over 3.2 million SME units were spread across the country, producing around 7,500 items and providing employment to nearly 400 million people.
He, however, said the government should look into the problems small and medium units face in getting credit from the public banks and financial institutions.
“SMEs are still neglected by banks and financial institutions, mostly in the private sector domain. The public sector banks in India are the only hopes for SMEs,” Jindal said.
- Crisil to target SMEs in tier II, III towns - Feb 22, 2012
- SBI to open new SME branches in Bengal - Apr 27, 2012
- Ratings reduce borrowing costs of SMEs: Crisil - Apr 19, 2011
- SBI mulls reduced interest rates for small, medium enterprises - May 29, 2012
- Chhattisgarh asked to ease enforcement of forest laws - Mar 22, 2011
- India's SMEs welcome 100 percent FDI in single-brand retail - Jan 27, 2012
- Power shortages may hit industrial output: Assocham - Oct 18, 2011
- Manufacturing policy is designed to create jobs: CII - Nov 13, 2011
- 'India-Italy trade at 15 billion euros by 2015' - Oct 31, 2011
- Banks' non-performing assets may rise: Assocham - Aug 14, 2011
- Government sets up board to boost manufacturing - Jun 03, 2012
- Experts welcome SIDBI fund for service sector startups - May 21, 2012
- Government announces sops; eyes 20 percent exports growth - Jun 05, 2012
- NSE gets green signal for SME exchange - Oct 14, 2011
- Assocham projects high growth for Chhattisgarh - Feb 03, 2010
Tags: assocham, banks in india, blue chips, chambers of commerce and industry, industry of india, national exports, public sector banks, sajjan, small and medium enterprises, technological upgradation