Small enterprises can collaborate in defence sector: Former army chiefFebruary 3rd, 2012 - 12:45 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 2 (IANS) Stating that India lacked the industrial capability to manufacture high-end and high-tech equipment for defence requirements, a former army chief Thursday called for enhanced collaboration among smaller enterprises in the defence sector.
“We do not possess the capability to produce high-end and high tech defence equipment which has affected our indigenous competency and we largely depend upon imports,” General (retd.) Shankar Roychowdhury said.
Roychowdhury who was speaking at a programme on prospects of medium, small and micro enterprises (MSMEs) in doing business with the defence sector, said the smaller units must come together and collaborate to increase their manufacturing capabilities.
“There is a need to consolidate our approach. The MSMEs must collaborate to reap the benefits of joint efforts. The need is a mass base industry of suitable quality and quantity,” said Roychowdhury.
West Bengal Small Industries Development Corporation chairman Sabyasachi Bagchi urged the MSMEs to go for collaboration with the corporation.
“We are here for extending support and promotion of small scale industries in the state. We urge the MSMEs to forge collaboration so that we can work jointly towards a greater future,” said Bagchi.
- Manufacturing policy is designed to create jobs: CII - Nov 13, 2011
- Government approves mandatory procurement policy from SMEs - Nov 01, 2011
- 'Revised defence offsets policy will encourage Indian SME sector' - May 08, 2012
- MSMEs play a pivotal role in nation's development: Virbhadra Singh - Apr 06, 2011
- Govt. seeks greater private role in defence sector: Pallam Raju - Apr 20, 2011
- High-tech trade: India urges US to focus on R&D;, design (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- President lauds micro SMEs as engines of growth - Aug 31, 2010
- Small and medium industries complain of neglect in UP - Feb 06, 2012
- India must be wary of defence imports: Narayanan - Dec 18, 2010
- Sonata Software forms joint venture in Qatar - Dec 21, 2011
- BRICS urged to develop small, medium enterprises - Jul 11, 2012
- New plan to help unregistered MSMEs: FISME - May 16, 2012
- Net deterioration in security environment: PM (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- French firm Altran bets on india for growth - Jul 12, 2012
- IITs, IIMs to help MSMEs improve managerial skills - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: army chief, bagchi, capabilities, collaboration, competency, defence equipment, defence requirements, defence sector, doing business, feb 2, India, industrial capability, micro enterprises, prospects, sabyasachi, small industries development, small scale industries, smaller enterprises, suitable quality, west bengal