‘Slumdog’ grosses $67.24 mn after another honour ahead of OscarsFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 11:31 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Feb 2 (IANS) After winning the top honour from the Directors Guild of America (DGA) for the Mumbai-set hit film “Slumdog Millionaire”, British Director Danny Boyle appears to be on the inside track for an Oscar at the Academy Awards ceremony Feb 22.The DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film is often an accurate indicator of who will land the Oscar for directing as 55 of the 60 past DGA award winners also went on to win the Academy Award for directing.
British Indian actor Dev Patel and newcomer Freida Pinto were among the numerous presenters at the awards gala dinner in Los Angeles Saturday, joining Hollywood actors like Sean Penn, Christian Bale and Jodie Foster.
“Slumdog Millionaire” is the eighth feature film directed by Boyle following such hits as “Trainspotting” and “28 Days Later”.
The heart-warming story of a poor boy from the slums of Mumbai who goes on to win the Indian version of TV game show “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire” has now won the top prize from the Directors Guild of America, Screen Actors Guild, Producers Guild of America, Golden Globes and Critics’ Choice Awards.
Meanwhile, with an estimated gross of $7,680,000 over Jan 30-Feb 1, down 28 percent from last weekend, “Slumdog Millionaire” has earned a whopping $67,244,000 in its 12 week run in the US.
Now playing in 1,633 theatres, up 222 from last weekend, the film’s per-theatre average earning was $4,703, according to movie website boxofficeguru.com.
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' bags two more US film industry awards - Jan 26, 2009
- A.R. Rahman named Best Composer as 'Slumdog' sweeps Critics' Choice awards (Lead) - Jan 09, 2009
- Major industry awards put 'Slumdog' in the lead for Oscar (Lead) - Jan 26, 2009
- Rahman wins Golden Globe, 'Slumdog' bags top prizes (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2009
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' receives Directors Guild Award - Feb 02, 2009
- Check Out Names Of Five Directors Nominated For DGA Awards 2011 - Jan 11, 2011
- Danny Boyle May Direct The 2012 London Olympics - Jun 09, 2010
- Danny Boyle to be 2012 Olympic opening director - Jun 17, 2010
- Danny Boyle applauded for theatre comeback - Feb 25, 2011
- 'Slumdog' gets Best Picture nomination from US guild - Jan 06, 2009
- Rahman hopes 'DAM 999' brings back Oscar - Dec 21, 2011
- Danny Boyle gets ready for BFI Award - Sep 29, 2010
- Rahman loses BAFTA - Feb 14, 2011
- Rajasthan set 'Marigold Hotel' has strong US opening - May 08, 2012
- 'Slumdog' saga continues with more Oscar nominations - Jan 08, 2009
Tags: 28 days later, academy awards ceremony, accurate indicator, british director, christian bale, critics choice awards, dga award, director danny boyle, directors guild of america, freida, game show who wants to be a millionaire, golden globes, heart warming story, hollywood actors, indian actor, outstanding directorial achievement, producers guild of america, screen actors guild, tv game show, who wants to be a millionaire