Slow start to India international fashion weekDecember 4th, 2009 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Dec 4 (IANS) Empty seats, few buyers and technical glitches — the Oxybleach India International Fashion Week (OIIFW) got off to a rather disappointing start here. But the organisers hope the event will lead to exchange of ideas among designers.
Unlike other fashion events where you have an elevated ramp, OIIFW has a flat ramp with a very casual seating arrangement — not in keeping with international standards.
Though the organisers of the event had claimed they had many domestic buyers during the three-day event at the Crowne Plaza, not even a single buyer was spotted on the inaugural day Thursday. The fashion week ends Saturday.
One of the reasons for a lukewarm response could be the location of the venue that makes it difficult for people to spend a whole day attending the event, considering the long travel time.
With designers from countries like the US, Tanzania, Pakistan, Spain, Israel, Norway, China, Romania, Dubai and Australia participating in the event, expectations were high. Monapali is the Indian designer participating in the fashion week.
“The whole idea of this event is to introduce international designers to India so that the consumers get idea of the international trends and these designers too get a hang of the Indian fashion industry,” Sanjay Kapur, organiser of OIIFW, told IANS.
“Through this event we are hoping that we can arrange some barter system where Indian designers too get an opportunity to participate in international fashion weeks. The way we have invited international designers, we are hoping that Indian designers too go there and participate,” he said.
Kapur hopes to make the fashion week an annual affair.
- From glamour to business, Rajasthan Fashion Week promises to be grand - May 23, 2012
- LFW Winter/Festive 2011 all about business (Curtain raiser) - Aug 15, 2011
- Too many fashion weeks spoilt the year (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 23, 2010
- Designers happy as business takes front seat at WIFW (Review) - Apr 11, 2011
- A potpourri of business for designers at LFW (Review) - Aug 22, 2011
- Now comes Rajasthan Fashion Week! - Mar 28, 2012
- Celebrities? Who knows? But trends for sure at men's week (Curtainraiser) - Sep 01, 2011
- Here's your chance to catwalk in Paris, Milan - Jun 08, 2010
- People in Africa have massive money: Tanzanian designer (With Images) - Dec 06, 2009
- Young designers shone, but business lagged at Pakistan fashion week (Review) - Apr 02, 2011
- LFW advances winter/festive edition to August - Apr 05, 2011
- Designers work overtime, say WIFW important for business - Apr 01, 2011
- Japanese designers to showcase at Lakme Fashion Week - Feb 22, 2011
- Lakme Fashion Week boasts of Japanese designers, digital outreach (Preview) - Mar 10, 2011
- LFW Winter-Festive puts spotlight on new talents, Indian weaves (Curtain-raiser ) - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: barter system, crowne plaza, fashion events, fashion industry, fashion week, fashion weeks, india international, indian designers, indian fashion, international designers, international fashion, international trends, lukewarm response, monapali, organisers, sanjay kapur, seating arrangement, single buyer, technical glitches, travel time