Skoda launches new Superb for Indian marketMarch 10th, 2009 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 10 (IANS) Czech auto major Skoda Tuesday launched an upgraded version of its premium sedan Superb at a discounted price for the Indian market.
The new Superb, of which only one variant will be available now, is priced at Rs.1.88 million (ex-showroom Delhi), while the older models were priced between Rs.2.01 million and Rs.2.27 million.
Skoda India’s board member (incharge of sales and marketing) Thomas Kuehl said the new price positioning was very important for the company in a price-sensitive market like India.
“India is an extremely price sensitive market. One of our challenges was to get the price right so as to make the product a value proposition,” he told reporters at the launch.
Kuehl said Skoda Auto was looking at gaining the top spot in the premium car segment with the new launch. The company expects to achieve a four-figure sales this fiscal for the new variant.
Skoda sold 522 Superb models in the last 11 months.
The new Superb comes with a “fuel-efficient” new TSI (Turbocharged Fuel Stratified Injection) petrol engine.
The auto industry in India and “all of the east” was on the path of revival unlike the developed world and the next few months would bring back the growth momentum, Kuehl said.
Apart from regular Skoda features like a patented twin door boot, the new variant comes equipped with a front and rear parking sensor, pedal shift for the seven-spead gearbox and eight front and rear seat airbags.
- Skoda's August sales up 24 percent, to launch new car - Sep 03, 2010
- Skoda launches Rapid sedan - Nov 16, 2011
- Nissan launches diesel variant of mid-size sedan Sunny - Dec 12, 2011
- Skoda launches new Laura RS - Sep 20, 2011
- Skoda starts production of entry-level sedan Rapid - Oct 07, 2011
- Hyundai launches new Elantra - Aug 13, 2012
- Skoda's August sales up 33 percent - Sep 01, 2009
- General Motors to launch small car Sail in Q3 - Mar 26, 2012
- Mahindra launches premium sports utility vehicle XUV500 - Sep 29, 2011
- Fiat launches Linea T-Jet, T Jet Plus - Oct 08, 2010
- Volkswagen to reduce Polo, Vento prices to boost sales - Sep 04, 2012
- Rs.1 mn prize for Indian contemporary art, courtesy Skoda - Aug 17, 2010
- Maruti Suzuki unveils new Swift DZire - Feb 01, 2012
- Honda launches new variant of City sedan - Dec 14, 2011
- Tata Motors launches new bus models - Dec 20, 2011
Tags: auto industry, car segment, czech auto, gearbox, growth momentum, incharge, india india, launch, older models, parking sensor, rear seat, rs 1, rs 2, s board, sales and marketing, sensitive market, spead, superb models, tsi, value proposition