Sixth train on Kalka-Shimla trackApril 25th, 2011 - 1:11 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, April 25 (IANS) To cater to the tourist rush to this Himachal Pradesh town, Northern Railway has decided to run another toy train on the Kalka-Shimla track, making it the sixth one on the route, an official said Monday.
“From April 30, a special train named duplicate toy train would ply to-and-fro between Kalka in Haryana and Shimla daily. The one-way ticket is Rs.280,” a railway official told IANS.
Normally, five toy trains run daily on the Kalka-Shimla track. “This would be the sixth one and would be operational till there is a tourist rush,” the official added.
The Kalka-Shimla rail track was built by the British in 1903 to ferry Europeans to-and-fro this hill town.
The ascent begins 640 metres (2,100 ft) above sea level at Kalka and crosses Himachal’s Dharampur, Barog, Solan and Kandaghat before it reaches Shimla at 7,000 ft. It passes through 102 tunnels.
- Kalka-Shimla track gets holiday special toy train - Dec 23, 2010
- 'Bring Shimla's last heritage train back on track' (Letter from Shimla) (With Image) - Aug 12, 2012
- Group travel? Charter a train to Shimla (With Images) - May 17, 2010
- Himachal's 108-year-old heritage railway station gutted (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Fire destroys 108-year-old railway station - May 03, 2011
- Train services resume on Kalka-Shimla track - Sep 24, 2010
- Heritage walk to spread awareness about Kalka-Shimla railway line - Jul 05, 2010
- Holiday special trains on Kalka-Shimla track stopped - Jul 09, 2009
- Landslides snap rail traffic in Himachal - Sep 23, 2010
- Rail traffic restored on Kalka-Shimla track (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- At 105, Kalka-Shimla railway declared World Heritage Site - Nov 09, 2008
- Special Kalka-Shimla trains start for New Year - Dec 27, 2009
- Another train on Kalka-Shimla route - Apr 21, 2010
- Another tragedy awaits Kalka-Shimla rail track? - Dec 22, 2008
- Kalka-Shimla train derails, two killed - Dec 21, 2008