Six engineers suspended for Jhansi chimney collapseMay 29th, 2010 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 29 (IANS) Six engineers have been suspended for negligence after a chimney collapsed at a power plant in Uttar Pradesh’s Jhansi district killing two workers and injuring at least, an official said Saturday.
The engineers work for Rajya Vidyut Utpandan Nigam (the Uttar Pradesh power generation corporation).
“Those suspended are two superintendent engineers, two assistant engineers, an executive engineer and a junior engineer,” corporation’s chairman and managing director Alok Tandon told IANS.
“The engineers, who were entrusted with the task of carrying out regular inspections during the construction process, have been suspended for slackness in their work,” he said.
Two labourers were killed and six injured, two of them seriously, when the 210-metre chimney at the 500 MW thermal power station in Jhansi collapsed April 24.
The Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Ltd (UPPCL) had registered a first information report (FIR) against a state-run agency in connection with the collapse of the chimney.
“For negligence and use of sub-standard material in construction of the chimney, we have registered an FIR against National Building Construction Corporation (NBCC), the agency that was engaged in setting up the chimney,” UPPCL chairman Navneet Sehgal had told IANS.
- Construction company booked for chimney collapse - May 25, 2010
- First death in Jhansi chimney mishap, one still missing - May 26, 2010
- Six injured in chimney collapse (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 24, 2010
- Four dead as Uttar Pradesh power plant chimney collapses - May 24, 2010
- UP blacklists 14 firms supplying sub-standard transformers - Jun 27, 2012
- UP power corporation to open 168 online billing centres - Jun 07, 2012
- Factory linked to BSP leader charged with power theft - Dec 22, 2011
- Northern power grid was again on verge of tripping - Aug 02, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh power company rapped for harassing small consumer - Dec 16, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh to subsidise CFLs for consumers - Jun 13, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh could save 1,080 MW with CFLs: Official (Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Powers crisis turns into law-and-order scare for UP government - Jul 24, 2012
- New factories exempted from electricity duty in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 19, 2010
- 12 IAS transferred in UP - Mar 27, 2012
- Four killed in Delhi building collapse - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: april 24, assistant engineers, building construction, chimney, collapse, construction corporation, corporation ltd, executive engineer, fir, information report, jhansi district, junior engineer, labourers, navneet, negligence, power generation, power plant, sehgal, uppcl, uttar pradesh