Six AIIMS-like institutions to be registered as societiesAugust 9th, 2010 - 3:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) The union cabinet Monday approved the proposal for formation of societies for each of the six All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)-like institutions being set up at a cost of over Rs.5,040 crore ($1 billion).
“Creating legal entities in the form of a society for these institutions will facilitate greater autonomy and faster execution of the projects and will expedite the release of funds from the government. Each of these institutions will be registered as a society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860,” said a cabinet release.
The institutions are being set up under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
The formation of societies will give these institutions a governance structure, which is not there at present. These societies will be functional till the AIIMS-like institutions are brought under an Act of Parliament.
“Each society will have a two-tier organisation and management structure. The governing council under the chairmanship of the health minister would have appropriate representation from concerned ministries/departments of the government and other related organisations. This will be the apex body deciding all policy matters,” it said.
There will also be a board of governors with the health and family welfare secretary as chairperson and appropriate representation of state governments. People with special knowledge in the field of science and medicine will be nominated by the governing council.
The AIIMS-like institutions - to come up in Bihar (Patna), Chhattisgarh (Raipur), Madhya Pradesh (Bhopal), Orissa (Bhubaneshwar), Rajasthan (Jodhpur) and Uttarakhand (Rishikesh) - were approved in March 2006 with the objective of correcting regional imbalances in the availability of affordable tertiary healthcare services and also to augment facilities for quality medical education in the country.
- Separate societies for six AIIMS-like institutions to be set up under PMSSY - Aug 26, 2010
- Cabinet clears societies to run six AIIMS-like institutions - Aug 09, 2010
- Lok Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutes - Aug 30, 2012
- Cabinet gives nod to set up six AIIMS-like institutions - Mar 19, 2010
- Rs.93 bn more for setting up six AIIMS-like institutions - Mar 19, 2010
- With Rs.1,100 crore, AIIMS bags highest budget share - Mar 16, 2012
- Government adopts multi-pronged approach to correct uneven progress in health indicators - Feb 25, 2010
- AIIMS gets Rs.1,000 crore in budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Work on AIIMS-like institution to begin in Chhattisgarh - Nov 04, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal to get AIIMS-like institutes: Azad - Jul 10, 2009
- Better health services for poor envisaged (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Government proposing a new National Urban Health Mission: PM - Jun 30, 2012
- Cabinet approves creation of senior posts for six AIIMS like institutions - Jul 17, 2008
- AIIMS-Patna to start this year, says Ghulam Nabi Azad - May 24, 2012
- Cabinet approves setting up two AIIMS-like institutions - Feb 05, 2009
Tags: act of parliament, aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, apex body, bhubaneshwar, board of governors, family welfare, governance structure, india institute, legal entities, mantri, policy matters, regional imbalances, registration act, rishikesh, state governments, union cabinet, uttarakhand, welfare secretary, yojana