Sivakasi cracker business roars to life before DiwaliOctober 26th, 2010 - 6:16 pm ICT by ANI
By Arun Kannan
Sivakasi (Tamil Nadu), Oct.26 (ANI): The production of firecrackers in Tamil Nadu’s Sivakasi town is on the rise with the approaching Diwali festival.
About 80 percent of the town’s population is engaged in firecracker production, as it is the main source of income for people.
Manufacturers said the demand for crackers has increased by ten percent from last year and workers are busy in fulfilling the retailers’ demands.
“This year, we have introduced a variety of Diwali crackers in our store. People are also showing a keen interest in the purchase of it. Though the price of crackers rose up to five to six percent, but still crackers are in great demand due to the high level of quality,” said Maadasami Swami, the manager of a firecracker store in Sivakasi.
“The main item, which we have introduced, this is the blue berry cracker, which gives different kinds of blue light after explosion,” he added.
“The quality of crackers is really good. I am a regular customer of crackers from many years,” said Vijay Muthu, a retailer.
Sivakasi is an active town and a municipality in Tamil Nadu’s Virudhunagar district. It is considered as the hub of the country’s firecrackers industry with around 8,000 factories, producing 90 percent of the total fireworks output.
This year, the Diwali festival is taking place on November 5. (ANI)
- Firecrackers go green this Diwali - Oct 23, 2011
- Six arrested for Sivakasi fire tragedy - Sep 06, 2012
- 237 lives lost in cracker unit accidents in Sivakasi - Sep 05, 2012
- High fuel prices scorch firecracker business, says survey - Oct 20, 2011
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Third Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- 33 die as firecracker factory catches fire (Fourth Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- 36 die as firecracker factory catches fire (Fifth Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sivakasi creates new varieties of fireworks for Diwali - Oct 12, 2009
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Delhi's firecracker shops get crackling - Oct 23, 2011
- 12 held for fireworks factory blaze, probe ordered (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Blaze at fireworks factory in southern India kills 38, injures 60 - Sep 06, 2012
- Sivakasi blast: NHRC notice to Tamil Nadu - Sep 07, 2012
- PM condoles Sivakasi fire victims - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: cracker, crackers, different kinds, diwali, diwali festival, explosion, factories, firecracker, firecrackers, fireworks, hub, kannan, keen interest, main source, municipality, population, swami, tamil nadu, virudhunagar