Singapore announces multi-billion-dollar stimulus planJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, Jan 23 (DPA) The Singapore government Friday announced an 11-billion-Singapore-dollar ($7.3 billion) plan of financial schemes aimed at stimulating lending to a broader range of enterprises during the current economic downturn.About 142,000 companies, or 99.7 percent of all enterprises based in Singapore, would be eligible for the schemes, which would be effective for one year from Feb 1, the Trade and Industry Ministry said.
“The aim is not to replace bank lending, but to catalyse it so that sound and viable companies can continue to carry out their business, meet their orders and pay their workers,” Trade and Industry Minister Lim Hng Kiang said.
The schemes come under a risk-sharing initiative in the 2009 budget announced Thursday by Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam, who said the government’s goal was to keep Singapore companies afloat and save jobs for locals during the economic slowdown.
The initiative is to focus on bridge loans and trade-financing schemes under which the government is to take a higher share of the default risk, ranging from 50 percent to 80 percent, the ministry said.
- India-Singapore target $32 billion trade by 2015 - May 11, 2010
- India urges Singapore to invest in Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor - May 11, 2010
- Sharma to hold trade talks with Malaysia and Singapore - Jul 05, 2010
- Protect 'innocent bystanders' from global financial crisis: India (Lead) - Apr 22, 2012
- India, ASEAN commerce ministers meet in Delhi - Mar 03, 2011
- Indian generic drugs to get easy access to Singapore - May 11, 2010
- 'Global economy may slump severely' - Nov 20, 2011
- Anand Sharma invites Malaysian investments in infrastructure - Jul 07, 2010
- Anand Sharma to leave for Malaysia, Singapore tonight - Jul 05, 2010
- IMF monitoring to avert future financial crisis - Apr 17, 2011
- Singapore invites Indian investment in education and health - Jul 11, 2012
- Britain unveils annual budget - Mar 21, 2012
- Singapore's bank lending growth slows in October - Dec 01, 2011
- Anand Sharma to inaugurate India show in Ethiopia - May 18, 2011
- Dalda owner Bunge to double trade finance business in India - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: aim, bridge loans, budget, default risk, economic downturn, economic slowdown, finance minister, hng, industry minister, industry ministry, initiative, lim hng kiang, locals, singapore companies, singapore dollar, singapore government, stimulus plan, tharman shanmugaratnam, trade financing, viable companies