SilkAir adds Chennai on its route mapJune 15th, 2010 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 15 (IANS) SilkAir, the regional wing of Singapore Airlines, has launched daily services between Singapore and Chennai, hoping to garner a good share in the passenger traffic between south India and the city state.
With the addition of Chennai, SilkAir now flies to six points in the country. The other cities it flies to are Thiruvananthapuram and Coimbatore (thrice weekly), Bangalore, Hyderabad and Kochi (daily).
SilkAir also hopes to have a decent capacity utilisation of its belly cargo capacity on its flights in and out of India.
“Our aircrafts can carry around three tonnes in their belly. We are hopeful the capacity will be fully utilised as there is good interest for cargo shipments out of Singapore to India,” SilkAir Chief Executive Chin Yau Seng told reporters here Tuesday.
He said the group has a separate company for cargo service which takes care of freighter services.
According to Chin, the current load factor for the airlines out of south India is satisfactory.
Asked about eating into Singapore Airlines’ custom, Chin said: “We compliment each other. Our flight timings are different. While Singapore Airlines flies largely in night we operate our flights during the day.”
He said the former operates wide bodied crafts whereas SilkAir flies only narrow bodied planes.
- SilkAir to fly to Bangalore, Chennai - Mar 20, 2010
- Cathay Pacific launches cargo service to Hyderabad - May 17, 2012
- Bangkok Airways connects Bangalore and Thailand - Oct 04, 2011
- Private Indian airlines allowed to expand overseas services - Feb 14, 2012
- Finnair Cargo to launch India service - Aug 20, 2011
- Bodies of missing South Korean pilots found months after crash - Oct 30, 2011
- Finnair starts maiden cargo service to India - Sep 16, 2011
- Thai Airways launches cargo aircraft - Apr 12, 2012
- Finnair plans cargo freighter service to India - Aug 25, 2010
- Hyderabad airport aiming to become a cargo hub - Apr 12, 2012
- Asiana Airlines pilot took out life insurance policies month before crash - Aug 01, 2011
- Singapore Airlines cuts fares for summer tourism - Apr 05, 2011
- Mamata flags off Kolkata-Singapore flight - Aug 01, 2011
- Tiger Airways Hyderabad-Singapore flight from September - Jul 02, 2012
- Silk Air to operate four flights from Kolkata - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: aircrafts, capacity utilisation, cargo capacity, cargo service, cargo shipments, crafts, flight timings, flights, freighter, hyderabad, passenger traffic, planes, route map, separate company, silkair, singapore airlines, six points, south india, thiruvananthapuram, tonnes