Silicon Image opens R&D; centre in HyderabadFebruary 18th, 2012 - 12:37 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Feb 17 (IANS) Silicon Image Inc., a leading connectivity solutions provider, has opened its first research and development (R&D;) center in India at Hyderabad.
The company’s chief executive officer Camillo Martino told reporters here Friday that the facility would design and develop semiconductor and intellectual property (IP) core technologies for implementation in mobile, wireless and consumer electronics products from manufacturers across the globe.
The India facility of the US-based company will initially have 80 employees. The Nasdaq-listed firm’s India R&D; center expands its current worldwide R&D; operations which include facilities in Sunnyvale, CA, USA and Shanghai, China.
He said Silicon Image, whose technologies are used by nine of the top 10 television manufacturers in the world, planned to focus on developing technologies specific to the Indian and Chinese markets.
“The opportunity in the two markets is huge,” he said.
“The Hyderabad R&D; centre is expected to provide key insights into end user’s needs and requirements in this region,” he said.
“The technology innovation and growth occurring in Hyderabad made the location a natural fit for Silicon Image’s expanding R&D; portfolio,” said Rashid Osmani, vice president of worldwide engineering at Silicon Image, Inc.
“The expertise of Silicon Image’s worldwide engineering team has been strengthened by the addition of the talented engineers in Hyderabad, who we foresee becoming an integral part of new product development.”
Silicon Image, which clocked revenues of $221 million in 2011, holds 377 patents issued by the US while 461 others are pending. Its global headcount stands at 521.
- India to play major role in Dell's networking plans - Sep 13, 2011
- 3M unveils Rs.100 crore research centre in Bangalore - Sep 23, 2011
- Buoyed by 'Eega' success, VFX company looking to expand - Jul 24, 2012
- Bosch to invest Rs.300 crore for capacity expansion - May 03, 2012
- Honeywell posts $550 million sales in India in 2010 - Jan 23, 2011
- B/E Aerospace opens engineering services unit in Hyderabad - Feb 29, 2012
- Imagination Technologies in talks with two Indian firms - Feb 03, 2011
- China's Huawei to invest $2 bn on Indian telecom lab, factory - Dec 14, 2010
- US optical networking firm expands Bangalore research facility - Dec 05, 2011
- GE to invest Rs.300 crore in India research facility - Jun 07, 2012
- Electronics development fund to promote innovation soon: Official - Feb 21, 2011
- M&M; research centre inaugurated - Apr 12, 2012
- First Tata-made Sikorsky S-92 helicopter airframe flies (With Images) - Aug 20, 2012
- Indian semicon industry told to invest in nanotechnology - Feb 21, 2011
- GE bets on India; to hire 6,000 more - Sep 26, 2011
Tags: chief executive officer, chinese markets, connectivity solutions provider, consumer electronics products, core technologies, d center, d centre, developing technologies, engineering team, headcount, hyderabad, natural fit, osmani, shanghai china, silicon image inc, sunnyvale ca, talented engineers, technology innovation, television manufacturers, worldwide engineering